Norcal Jeepers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Tapatalk is still having problems starting new threads, but you can still reply to old threads

Welcome to Norcal Jeepers!
Welcome to Norcal Jeepers! It looks like you're not registered yet. As a guest you are missing out on a bunch of great content that is only viewable once you register. To register, simply follow the link below and fill out some information about yourself. It only takes a few minutes!

Click here to register now!

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: 72 CJ build  (Read 5789 times)

The Bear Whisperer

• Supporting Member
  • aka - Screaming "Bear"
Re: 72 CJ build
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2018, 03:47:43 PM »

If it wasn't for this stupid clutch issue the jeep would be on the road. So, like man's eternal problem, I need 1 more inch. the clutch pedal hits the floor board before completely disengaging the clutch. I do have play at the top of the pedal which may fix the problem, just don't known if that can be done with bleeding the system more (not sure if there is air in the system or not), a longer throw rod for the clutch master, a longer throw rod for the slave cylinder, a larger bore master so it pushes more fluid with a shorter throw or re-angle the clutch pedal arm itself. I'm just really limited on space between the floor and the column.

Tim and I are going to see what we can do. Any other ideas are appreciated.
I am using the 86 Chevy slave with an 86 Jeep master cylinder after much experimentation. My bell housing has the ear for the slave. You must maintain a touch of MC free play for it to bleed properly. Mine bleeds itself as the bubbles just flow up to the MC. Just tapping on the pedal helps. No need to pump the fluid through. Does the hose enter on top of your slave?
The slave push-rod might be too short. With the slave bottomed you should have just enough play in the arm so the throw-out bearing is off the pressure plate. The clutch pedal itself should have plenty of room for travel on a CJ.

My CJ3-A missed a trip to Moab for the same issue. When I got home the clutch had bled itself just sitting in my garrage.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 07:55:37 PM by Screaming Bear »
51 CJ3-A, 4.3 TBI Chevy, SM420, Dana 18TC, 30/44 Full Floaters, Yukon Front Axle and Hubs, rear drive flanges, Detroit Fr / E-Locker Rr, 4.27:1 Gears, 74:1, HD steering / 4 wheel disk brakes, Viair 550C, 100% LED - VisionX headlights, Rigid Light-bar, DOT Fogs, Grote tail, Soft Top and Heater, 35"KM-2's, 3" up, no articulation - it works

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2018, 06:01:31 PM »

He has very limited room for pedal travel because he wedged the entire pedal assembly from the truck in there.  It's VERY tight.

The Bear Whisperer

• Supporting Member
  • aka - Screaming "Bear"
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2018, 07:50:37 PM »

He has very limited room for pedal travel because he wedged the entire pedal assembly from the truck in there.  It's VERY tight.
I use a '90's Isuzu Trooper clutch pedal assembly. I've used them on two CJ5's as well. It is compact but a bit of a pain to remove at PnP. The brake booster is in the way and the pedals are bolted together FYI. I make a custom push-rod for the Jeep MC but that's easy. I've used the Isuzu MC also but forget why I went to Jeep #CM1260. (may be larger volume) The mounting hole distance had to be widened slightly. Get part of the metric hard line and adapt to SAE. Works great!

All this depends on the size slave you are using. My Chevy slave is #CS2221, not sure of bore sizes. 16mm / 5/8" ?
51 CJ3-A, 4.3 TBI Chevy, SM420, Dana 18TC, 30/44 Full Floaters, Yukon Front Axle and Hubs, rear drive flanges, Detroit Fr / E-Locker Rr, 4.27:1 Gears, 74:1, HD steering / 4 wheel disk brakes, Viair 550C, 100% LED - VisionX headlights, Rigid Light-bar, DOT Fogs, Grote tail, Soft Top and Heater, 35"KM-2's, 3" up, no articulation - it works

Mase58

• Supporting Member
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2018, 01:29:50 AM »

Well after 2+ quarts of fluid, a pressure bleeder, new master cylinder for the clutch and re-fab the brake and clutch pedals it's going. Registered and Insured, windshield in and driving on the road. Still have some small things to do like mount the winch, light bar and rock lights, build the center console, etc. But it's being driven now and ready to go at the end of the month. I'll get some other pictures up hopefully this weekend.  Huge thanks to Tim for all the different ideas and help.

Mr.B

• "But officer, it was a Subaru!"
  • Administrator
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2018, 08:46:01 AM »

Yea! :2thumbsup:
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

You're a super genius....
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

Mase58

• Supporting Member
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2018, 09:18:28 AM »

Final walk around video coming up, hopefully later today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mase58

• Supporting Member
« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2018, 10:32:19 AM »

Well the walk around and video did not happen. For its first trip out it wentbto Moab and I was impressed with the way it performed. The rig was more capable than I was to start with. By the end of the trip I was feeling really good with it.

this was actually the day after I got back and went to Fordyce.

I wish I could have got more but itís tough to take the pictures and drive at the same time.

The only two issues the jeep had. Steering, WFO had drilled outnthe pitman arm and went a little to large so the tie rod end was not tightening correctly and ultimately burned up the power steering pump. Luckily that was a pretty easy fix once we limped it back to camp. The other issue was my fault and that was a dirty air filter choking it out.

Like any jeep, there are things Iíd like to change or upgrade and those will happen in time.

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2018, 03:47:35 PM »

It's just money, let's upgrade now....

Mase58

• Supporting Member
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2020, 09:14:36 AM »

Itís been a while and several trips, now time for some upgrades. First one,

Others to come soon following.

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2020, 10:06:57 AM »

Just noticed, there's no fuel line with that kit.    That pump is pretty low pressure, but we may still want to run new line from the pump to throttle body.

The Bear Whisperer

• Supporting Member
  • aka - Screaming "Bear"
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2020, 12:07:16 PM »

Nice! Yeah it's only around 15psi. I got a coil of Al tubing from Summit. I also installed a filter before the injectors as the kit only has a pre-filter before the pump. I found my pump to run quieter if tilted and low as you can safely mount it. Widow Maker, we will be back  :thumbsup:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g1508?rrec=true

Mase58

• Supporting Member
« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2020, 01:35:42 PM »

Just noticed, there's no fuel line with that kit.    That pump is pretty low pressure, but we may still want to run new line from the pump to throttle body.

If you remember most of it is hard line. If we put the pump in the engine compartment then it will just be a short run of soft line.

Mase58

• Supporting Member
« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2020, 01:37:55 PM »

Nice! Yeah it's only around 15psi. I got a coil of Al tubing from Summit. I also installed a filter before the injectors as the kit only has a pre-filter before the pump. I found my pump to run quieter if tilted and low as you can safely mount it. Widow Maker, we will be back  :thumbsup:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g1508?rrec=true

Widow Maker possibly, Hells Gate-yes, Escalator possibly, Double Whammy-yes.

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2020, 07:34:16 PM »

If you remember most of it is hard line. If we put the pump in the engine compartment then it will just be a short run of soft line.

Pretty sure they want the pump below the tank.  It won't be an issue to the pump and we'll just use FI hose from the hard line to the TB, that way you don't need much.  I'd just get FI line but not the high pressure FI line.
Pages: 1 2 [3]