Norcal Jeepers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Well that was a fun 40 hours. Thank you Godaddy. We're back up and running, but in the next 30 days there will some scheduled down time.

Welcome to Norcal Jeepers!
Welcome to Norcal Jeepers! It looks like you're not registered yet. As a guest you are missing out on a bunch of great content that is only viewable once you register. To register, simply follow the link below and fill out some information about yourself. It only takes a few minutes!

Click here to register now!

Author Topic: Daily Driver Drama  (Read 1356 times)

pdangerp

Daily Driver Drama
« on: August 14, 2011, 09:44:22 AM »

This whole week has been spent working on cars for me. I have been experiencing problems with my DD a 98 Lexus ES300 with 93000 miles. The radio was intermittently turning off when I was stopped at stop lights. If I revved the engine up, it would come back on. When I was driving, it would come back on. If I turned off the AC, it would turn back on. I experienced slow turnover one morning when i tried to get it started. I took the battery out and took it to O'reilly's and they said it was holding a charge. I took the car to them to test the alternator. They said it was charging. The next couple days had the same problems. Then it wouldn't start one morning. I took the battery out again and took it to Lexus to get it checked. The battery was under a year old and it was under warranty. They checked it and said it wouldn't hold a charge, but in order to warranty it, it needed to be in the car and I needed to bring in the car. I put it back in the car and jumped it using the Jeep. I brought it back to Lexus and they said that the battery was fine and that the alternator was bad. I was kinda pissed that they would make me go through all this, but oh well. They wanted 700 dollars to replace the alternator. I told them to pound sand.

I found an alternator at AutoZone for 130 and had it replaced in 2 hours. Car runs great now. What a hassle though. It's like nobody can diagnose simple problems any more. I thought it was the alternator from the beginning, but I thought I'd check the battery first because it was under warranty. I don't really know where I'm going with this post, but oh well.

Have any of you had stupid problems that were hard to diagnose? Anybody have the dealership or mechanic misdiagnose the problem then try to ream you for expensive repairs?

rangair94

Re: Daily Driver Drama
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 09:59:05 AM »

Thats the difference between parts changers and mechanics. All these kids coming out of tech schools really have no idea what they are doing, but they have a piece of paper that says they do. Now with all the electronics in cars they don't have to troubleshoot anything, just hook up a scanner and it tells you whats wrong. I am a heavy equipment mechanic and its the same thing in our industry. Not everyone can troubleshoot. I have been to classes with people dong it a lot longer then I have and couldn't figure out simple problems. I am honestly amazed how the rest of the world functions after meeting some of the people I have. Its probably held together with a lot of duct tape and bailing wire.
Allen

Mr.B

• "But officer, it was a Subaru!"
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 11:01:14 AM »

I don't know if this will help you, but my personal experience with an ES250 was very similar. I had the weird electrical problems, hard starting, and not starting. Then it would work for a while, and start all over again. Long story short, it was a flakey ground connection on the starter.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

You're a super genius....
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

pdangerp

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 05:13:51 PM »

it seems to be fixed for now. how do you tell hoe tight to make a belt?

CMARJEEP

• Connor #1
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 07:48:16 PM »

I had some weird electrical problems with my WJ. Sometimes when I turned on the high beams the radio would shut off. Then it would sometimes not start at all- not even crank. It ended up being just dirty battery posts/terminals causing all that. Cleaned them up with battery cleaner and a brush and haven't had issues since.
2001 WJ mallcrawler / 2.5" OME lift / ARB front bumper with Warn M8000 / KOR Sliders / 31" Treadwright MTRs

rangair94

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 08:52:21 PM »

it seems to be fixed for now. how do you tell hoe tight to make a belt?

I think the proper tightness is like a half inch of deflection. but i just do it till it feels good.
Allen