Norcal Jeepers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Well that was a fun 40 hours. Thank you Godaddy. We're back up and running, but in the next 30 days there will some scheduled down time.

Welcome to Norcal Jeepers!
Welcome to Norcal Jeepers! It looks like you're not registered yet. As a guest you are missing out on a bunch of great content that is only viewable once you register. To register, simply follow the link below and fill out some information about yourself. It only takes a few minutes!

Click here to register now!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Witty CB chat..  (Read 5123 times)

Dieck

• Supporting Member
  • Beer me.
Witty CB chat..
« on: August 06, 2017, 07:32:59 PM »

My CB has always sucked . I can hear half what people say and probably can't be heard 75% of the time.  I would like to be part of the witty banter, not to mention safety etc.

Have in old whip antenna that is pretty trashed but would  make John Bobbit proud.  So I got adjustable Firestik and a SWR reader.

SWR reads 2.5 to 3.  Adjusting antenna does nothing. Both antennas basically same reading.  Reading does not change if jeep location changes.

With my limited skills I have tested the cable and it appears good. ANTENNA is mounted on my rear rack. Base of rack appears grounded. (Base of mount to frame, multi-meter shows OHMs) Did I do that right?  Don't see an corrosion in any is the connections.

What am I missing? ..

We should all get HAMS..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1995 wrangler SE 2.5 5sp 30/35 dana. Lockers . Teralow. Leafs Over. 35" KO2s . A lot of dents.

Mr.B

• "But officer, it was a Subaru!"
  • Administrator
Re: Witty CB chat..
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 08:31:28 PM »

My CB has always sucked . I can hear half what people say and probably can't be heard 75% of the time.  I would like to be part of the witty banter, not to mention safety etc.

Have in old whip antenna that is pretty trashed but would  make John Bobbit proud.  So I got adjustable Firestik and a SWR reader.

SWR reads 2.5 to 3.  Adjusting antenna does nothing. Both antennas basically same reading.  Reading does not change if jeep location changes.

With my limited skills I have tested the cable and it appears good. ANTENNA is mounted on my rear rack. Base of rack appears grounded. (Base of mount to frame, multi-meter shows OHMs) Did I do that right?  Don't see an corrosion in any is the connections.

What am I missing? ..

We should all get HAMS..

How long is your antenna? I need the actual length, not what you tell the girls. I have semi new adjustable Firestick that is supposed to be 4' tall, but is 2 or 3" longer than that. I can't drive into my garage with it attached to the Jeep. So if yours is shorter, we could swap.

How old is the coax cable? They will deteriorate over time. I think I need a new cable soon. Also, how long is the cable? The idea that it needs to be 18' is crap. I cut mine to the length I needed, and soldered PL-259 connector on the end. A lot of things can cause high SWR readings.

"We should all get HAMS.."

Yes you guys should!
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

You're a super genius....
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

Dieck

• Supporting Member
  • Beer me.
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 11:56:12 PM »

I got the 3 footer adjustable. Where mine is mounted I can't get any antenna in garage.  Gotta take them all off. Not sure how old the co ax is. Probably needs replacing. Yeah , 18 ft of cable is insane.  The existing cable is just length I need. Checked that it wasn't coiled.

I think I found one issue I gotta fix. I believe my mount is grounded but the mounting bolt (there may be a more correct term for that)  for antenna is not isolated from the mount. So I think my antenna is grounding out.  Need to get some nylon washers and see if that helps.  If the 32 cent washers don't get the SWR down I may have to break down and get some cable. 

I have a multimeter question. Ohm setting. Was checking grounds. Different numbers come up. 1.7.. .07.. .02.   What do the numbers mean?  Is like the higher the number, the better the ground?  Or it is just a simple grounded or not grounded regardless of the number.  I don't have a clue about electricity..

You ever get yers fixed? I seemed to remember it had some issues with yours.

1995 wrangler SE 2.5 5sp 30/35 dana. Lockers . Teralow. Leafs Over. 35" KO2s . A lot of dents.

Screaming Bear

• Supporting Member
  • "the Bear Whisperer"
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 07:07:16 AM »

I don't think 18' is totally bogus. I do think any multiple of 3' is proper for the waveform of CB. Think I read that either on Right Channel or Firestik website. It makes sense when you read it. That is why your SWR meter uses a 3' jumper as well.

https://www.rightchannelradios.com/blogs/selection-guides/18542243-cb-radios-for-jeeps#9

http://www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs/swr-curves.htm
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 07:29:34 AM by Screaming Bear »
51 CJ3-A, 4.3 TBI Chevy, SM420, Dana 18TC, 30/44 Full Floaters, Yukon Front Axle and Hubs, rear drive flanges, Detroit Fr / E-Locker Rr, 4.27:1 Gears, 74:1, HD steering / 4 wheel disk brakes, Viair 550C, 100% LED - VisionX headlights, Rigid Light-bar, DOT Fogs, Grote tail, Soft Top and Heater, 35"KM-2's, 3" up, no articulation - it works

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 07:25:46 AM »

So lets start with a little basic radio knowledge. You'll need to know a lot more to take your Ham test.

Radio frequency is transmitted in band wave, like these:

CB waves are quite large, about 30 feet. To get the best reception is to have an antenna the same length. That doesn't work too well on a vehicle. So antennas are divided into 1/4 wave, 1/3 wave ETC. The shorter the antenna, the less efficient at catching the wave.  So a 3' antenna is slightly less efficient than a 4' antenna. I've been able to talk to someone at Ellis Creek from camp before, so it seems to be working quite well. So I'd be willing to give up a little, just to leave it on all the time.

Here's a pic of how a correctly mounted antenna should look like:

If yours doesn't look like that, then you do have a problem.

Here's a pic of my home brew mount. It has a large washer with a thin rubber isolator between the antenna and the mount. I need to probably clean that up.

Checking ohms with a digital meter will almost always give you some sort of a resistance number. that .02 measurement is just the amount of resistance that is in the wires of your probes. If you are just touching your probes together, you should probably see something around .02. So the 1.7 is still not to bad, considering the length of wire you are testing. Both are considered having continuity. As cable ages, the number will go up.

I don't think 18' is totally bogus. I do think any multiple of 3' is proper for the waveform of CB. Think I read that either on Clear Channel or Firestik website. It makes sense when you read it. That is why your SWR meter uses a 3' jumper as well.

Actually after the wave hits the antenna, it's no longer the same wave, more of an electrical wave. So the length of coax is no longer as relevant. The 18' length is only relevant if you are using dual co-phased antennas.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

Screaming Bear

• Supporting Member
  • "the Bear Whisperer"
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 07:41:53 AM »

Yeah, Ben knows this shit best. I can't even get fuel pump and led b/u light RFI out of my CB. Plastic Jeeps suck!
51 CJ3-A, 4.3 TBI Chevy, SM420, Dana 18TC, 30/44 Full Floaters, Yukon Front Axle and Hubs, rear drive flanges, Detroit Fr / E-Locker Rr, 4.27:1 Gears, 74:1, HD steering / 4 wheel disk brakes, Viair 550C, 100% LED - VisionX headlights, Rigid Light-bar, DOT Fogs, Grote tail, Soft Top and Heater, 35"KM-2's, 3" up, no articulation - it works

Dieck

• Supporting Member
  • Beer me.
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 01:48:04 PM »

Dang, you all got the knowledge! 

So was thinking I needed a nylon washer on top and bottom of base. Picture makes sense if top has the nylon washer it will stop the ground to antenna.  So no need for nylon at bottom of base? That correct?  Does the bottom where co ax attaches need to be grounded to base? I thought I saw some vid, maybe from firestik, that showed nylon on both. Or does that matter?

Lock washer, good idea.

I will trade antennas if it will help you. My only reason getting the 3' was to avoid some over head obstructions on trail.  I did pick up one of them springs to help with flex if I hit something.

I got the ham book. Basically been a drink coaster.  Gotta read that darn thing. Talked to a few who just kept taking the practice tests and passed the test for license pretty easily.  Sounds like the test was dumby downed a bit.  Seems like a no brainer to get it for safety.

Dieck

• Supporting Member
  • Beer me.
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2017, 01:56:21 PM »

Oh, and Ben, the 3 footer measures a smudge over 37 inches.

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2017, 03:27:29 PM »

Greg, I went looking to see if I could find a pic of your antenna. All I could find was this one.

That's not what you're running now right?

No nylon washer on the bottom. That part of the cable connect is the shield side of the cable. It has to be grounded to protect the inner signal from noise. And that nylon washer on top is a shoulder washer.

I don't get any noise on my rig. Unless I'm stopped next to Doug. :biggrin:

There is this filter:

https://www.amazon.com/Magnum-XLF-20BP-D-C-PowerLine-Filter-20Amps/dp/B01BUALLRE/ref=pd_sbs_263_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01BUALLRE&pd_rd_r=0TS02ETFEBMKKRBRVENK&pd_rd_w=0kABQ&pd_rd_wg=HLF55&psc=1&refRID=0TS02ETFEBMKKRBRVENK

Doug, I don't personally know anything about it. It only has one customer review, but it's 5 stars. I assume you've tried various filters.

Screaming Bear

• Supporting Member
  • "the Bear Whisperer"
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2017, 07:31:53 PM »

I run one of those filters, mine is name brand but forget which. I even tried it inline with the fuel pump. No improvement, I don't think the rfi is in my wiring but it's in the air around me. Fiberglass doesn't shield it.
I used a handheld FM today with a couple other guys, I was impressed with the clarity. Ordered a pair of them when I got home. Cheapo BaoFang UV 5R V2+ and a couple 3800 mAh batteries.

Dieck

• Supporting Member
  • Beer me.
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2017, 08:18:04 PM »

Yes Ben. I will trade my  old bent whip for your 4' firestik. I don't want to give up the vintage look but I will for you. :)

Yes, I had nylon top and bottom. SWR was worse.

Took off bottom, still sucked.  Then noticed my bottom washer was grounding out antenna. Dumped washer. Still sucked.

Did  every continuity and grounding test overall and in sections.  Finally found my co ax plug under mount is a bit iffy.  Messed with connection. Gonna have to replace but works for now.

Success! Finally tested  it  1.3 and 1.4 at ch 1 and 40. ! 

Lordy.. I had no idea there was so much to an antenna!

Through it all, my whip didn't have continuity.  Lol. So in good faith Ben, you can have my brand new 3' in the trade.

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2017, 09:30:12 PM »

Alright!

Are you coming up for the Ramblers trip?

Here's a pic of my 4'+2", adjustable Firestik II. It does a great job, until I drive into the garage.

Dieck

• Supporting Member
  • Beer me.
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2017, 08:41:47 PM »

I probably won't make rambler trip. Have taken to much time off this summer.  My days off don't mesh to well will playing this year. Wish I could. Will probably use my Sundays in Sept work on the Deer Valley trail to give back some.  We can do lunch perhaps on a Monday or Tuesday before.. ?

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2017, 10:30:55 PM »

I'm on a bike ride this coming weekend. So next early part of next week I need to take care of some business. Any Monday, Tuesday after that should be fine.

Screaming Bear

• Supporting Member
  • "the Bear Whisperer"
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2017, 11:51:09 AM »

There is probably another thread for Ham, sorry to muddy this one up a little while it's active.
So I received my handheld dual-band radios. I am not afraid to use frs/gmrs frequencies without a ham license, so for now I figured out how to program a few channels. Any thoughts on this other than get a license? What are you guys using on FM?

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2017, 08:21:42 PM »

This thread is in General Tech, so I don't see a problem with it, as long as the OP doesn't.

I'm unclear what you are asking for. What FRS frequency do I use? GMRS radios use channels, I just use channel 1. There doesn't seem to be much chatter up on the Rubicon, on channel 1.

So you bought 2 dual-band ham radios? The 70cm band on a ham uses around 440MHz. GMRS radios use 462 to 467MHz. I'm not sure you can talk at any distance with an antenna tuned to 440. But maybe you can.

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2017, 09:00:22 PM »

They're basically "race radios" if I'm understanding correctly.  I don't know anything about them though.

Screaming Bear

• Supporting Member
  • "the Bear Whisperer"
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2017, 07:27:34 AM »

Yes, what channels do you most frequently use. #1 = 462.5625MHz?
Can I listen in on 146.805 on the Rubicon without programming repeater frequencies?
My local club is going to start training and implementation of Ham radios for members. I just want to get a jump on some of the basics.

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2017, 07:46:48 AM »

I really don't use them much. I've used them camping in Ft. Bragg, and when Alex climbs the mountain at Wentworth Springs. I just have them locked on channel 1. They're just a cheapo Uniden set . They were on sale at Fry's, for like $25 for the set.

Screaming Bear

• Supporting Member
  • "the Bear Whisperer"
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2017, 10:38:42 AM »

Do you use the Ham on the Rubicon, or does nobody in our group use them yet? 136-174 / 400-480MHz  - these are the cheapo's I picked up;
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HX03AMA/ref=psdc_912322_t3_B00KFL1L7A and 3800mAh batteries
Pages: [1] 2 3 4