Norcal Jeepers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Well that was a fun 40 hours. Thank you Godaddy. We're back up and running, but in the next 30 days there will some scheduled down time.

Welcome to Norcal Jeepers!
Welcome to Norcal Jeepers! It looks like you're not registered yet. As a guest you are missing out on a bunch of great content that is only viewable once you register. To register, simply follow the link below and fill out some information about yourself. It only takes a few minutes!

Click here to register now!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Witty CB chat..  (Read 5126 times)

Screaming Bear

• Supporting Member
  • "the Bear Whisperer"
Re: Witty CB chat..
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2017, 03:07:31 PM »

Check this antenna out. It's supposedly no ground plane.

http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-000061
So I bought this NR770HB, a mount and a couple adapters. What I noticed (Amcguy mentioned this) it can't physically cover both bands completely. Radio 136-174 and 400-520MHz, Antenna 144-148 and 440-450MHz. It doesn't cover the FRS/GMRS frequencies I had intended to use initially. Ben you mentioned a splitter in a previous post. Does that allow the use of 2M and 70cm antenna's at the same time?
51 CJ3-A, 4.3 TBI Chevy, SM420, Dana 18TC, 30/44 Full Floaters, Yukon Front Axle and Hubs, rear drive flanges, Detroit Fr / E-Locker Rr, 4.27:1 Gears, 74:1, HD steering / 4 wheel disk brakes, Viair 550C, 100% LED - VisionX headlights, Rigid Light-bar, DOT Fogs, Grote tail, Soft Top and Heater, 35"KM-2's, 3" up, no articulation - it works

Mr.B

• "But officer, it was a Subaru!"
  • Administrator
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2017, 09:47:36 PM »

Yes, you can have separate antennas going into one radio. But I believe it only covers 2m and 70cm. If you want to use FRS/GMRS, you can always switch to the rubber duck.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

You're a super genius....
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

Screaming Bear

• Supporting Member
  • "the Bear Whisperer"
« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2017, 11:13:22 AM »

Well, now that I am legal and have a good mobile installed I gave it a go yesterday. I am impressed! "Loud and clear" from somewhere along I80 near Winnamucca. The Carson City repeater is on the SNARS linked system. I still need to enter the Tahoe Basin frequencies and hopefully access the Rubicon linked repeaters from Dayton. Manually programming the odd split is a little complicated for a newbie.
So, I ended up with the Diamond dual band antenna and the Yaesu FT-8900R using the remote mounting kit for a clean installation. The Cobra external speaker sounds very good. I do not get all that interference from my fuel pump and LED lights like the CB does. However, there is some interference from the ignition while the engine is running. I may have to route the antenna cable further from the engine. I am going to run a ground strap to the L bracket to see if grounding the shield will help. I will also try my CB power filter on the 12V power and ground. KI7SCT
51 CJ3-A, 4.3 TBI Chevy, SM420, Dana 18TC, 30/44 Full Floaters, Yukon Front Axle and Hubs, rear drive flanges, Detroit Fr / E-Locker Rr, 4.27:1 Gears, 74:1, HD steering / 4 wheel disk brakes, Viair 550C, 100% LED - VisionX headlights, Rigid Light-bar, DOT Fogs, Grote tail, Soft Top and Heater, 35"KM-2's, 3" up, no articulation - it works

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2017, 10:00:12 PM »

I'm beginning to think that interference you're getting maybe because of the fiberglass body. Maybe the no ground plane can't filter it out.

So you got the longer cable, and you can remove the "head unit"?

I'm glad you finally tried it out. :2thumbsup:
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

Screaming Bear

• Supporting Member
  • "the Bear Whisperer"
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2017, 10:29:57 AM »

I'm beginning to think that interference you're getting maybe because of the fiberglass body. Maybe the no ground plane can't filter it out.
So you got the longer cable, and you can remove the "head unit"?
I'm glad you finally tried it out. :2thumbsup:
Yeah, fiberglass doesn't shield anything. The ant cable is too close to my spark-plug wires (6"). I will separate them and try my noise filter once I finish my current project. (replacing the piano hinge on the hood without messing up the paint - it's welded on)

The radio came with the remote kit. I mounted the head on the windshield frame well within reach. The mike is even closer, hung from the crossbar just above the dash.

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2017, 07:14:33 PM »

Are you wiring both + and - to the battery? I have an inline fuse on both.

Screaming Bear

• Supporting Member
  • "the Bear Whisperer"
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2017, 09:31:33 AM »

Are you wiring both + and - to the battery? I have an inline fuse on both.
Yes, the new power harness reached the battery +/- and both are fused. The ignition static isn't terrible but I bet I am transmitting it as well. I did move the antenna cable and ground the "L" body mount yesterday (no change). I will steal this from my CB:
 https://www.amazon.com/WORKMAN-NF-40-STEREO-FILTER-HANDLING/dp/B00IJZWWWM/ref=pd_sim_107_5?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00IJZWWWM&pd_rd_r=ENYEYHMAKGQRFYN439V9&pd_rd_w=7BiaQ&pd_rd_wg=1cvXY&psc=1&refRID=ENYEYHMAKGQRFYN439V9 , maybe it will do the trick.
I should replace the ignition wires and spark plugs next, they are getting old.

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2017, 09:41:14 AM »

How well did it work on your CB?

Screaming Bear

• Supporting Member
  • "the Bear Whisperer"
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2017, 12:30:30 PM »

How well did it work on your CB?
Didn't do shit for the LED or fuel pump interference but there was no ignition noise. It's worth a try. I will let you know.

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2018, 09:57:21 AM »

Any updates? Did you get your radio programmed? Did the filter work?

Screaming Bear

• Supporting Member
  • "the Bear Whisperer"
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2018, 10:49:34 AM »

The filter didn't do anything for the ignition noise. I replaced the wires with a high quality noise suppression set and new resistor type spark plugs. Using the Mt Rose repeater the sound was much cleaner. I'm thinking radios filter better when you have a strong signal. I don't know if I transmit any static as I haven't been on the air much. My local club is transitioning to ham so I might get some simplex use soon. The filter is back on the CB power and ground.

Yes, I used the RT programming software. Very easy. I only set up Local, Rubicon and Moab plus weather.

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2018, 11:28:58 AM »

Have you tried hitting the 70cm repeater on the Rubicon yet?

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2018, 01:39:27 PM »

Doug, I found some interesting info that might help you with your noise in Plastic Barbie Jeep. :biggrin:

http://www.k0bg.com/bonding.html

There's a lot of other useful info on that website also.

Dieck

• Supporting Member
  • Beer me.
« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2018, 02:40:46 PM »

Old chat, I know.  Finally got the Ham license and a cheap Baofeng!  Now what?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1995 wrangler SE 2.5 5sp 30/35 dana. Lockers . Teralow. Leafs Over. 35" KO2s . A lot of dents.

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2018, 04:04:32 PM »

Congratulations! :high5:

Now you get an antenna and a mount. Then you need to run some wire and get an adapter to hook your radio to it. Which Baofeng radio did you get?

Call sign?

Screaming Bear

• Supporting Member
  • "the Bear Whisperer"
« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2018, 04:30:34 PM »

Congrats. How did you find the test and how did you prepare for it. The study book I have scares everybody off. Yes it seems mind boggling but it made the test seem easy. My club ended up using Baofeng HTs and someone is buying a business frequency. A lot of people just program in FRS channels but that isn't legal.

Sccafire

« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2018, 12:51:03 PM »

I know for sure the Rubicon Trail is covered 100% by a 70cm Repeater and linked to the 805. You need a HAM license to talk on it.
Scott

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: June 20, 2018, 08:16:33 PM »

Scott, just noticed your profile says Anderson, did you guys sell the place in Lincoln?

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: June 20, 2018, 10:35:05 PM »

I was thinking the same thing.

Screaming Bear

• Supporting Member
  • "the Bear Whisperer"
« Reply #59 on: June 21, 2018, 07:26:46 AM »

Do most people use the 70cm repeater located near Spider instead of one of the .805 repeaters? I guess the 107.2 PL links to 146.805. Being a newbie I will likely be using simplex anyway. I read some people decode PL on handhelds? Do you use the PL on 70cm simplex? KI7SCT out
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4