Norcal Jeepers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Well that was a fun 40 hours. Thank you Godaddy. We're back up and running, but in the next 30 days there will some scheduled down time.

Welcome to Norcal Jeepers!
Welcome to Norcal Jeepers! It looks like you're not registered yet. As a guest you are missing out on a bunch of great content that is only viewable once you register. To register, simply follow the link below and fill out some information about yourself. It only takes a few minutes!

Click here to register now!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Witty CB chat..  (Read 5125 times)

Mr.B

• "But officer, it was a Subaru!"
  • Administrator
Re: Witty CB chat..
« Reply #60 on: June 21, 2018, 09:27:50 AM »

Do most people use the 70cm repeater located near Spider instead of one of the .805 repeaters? I guess the 107.2 PL links to 146.805. Being a newbie I will likely be using simplex anyway. I read some people decode PL on handhelds? Do you use the PL on 70cm simplex? KI7SCT out

I don't know what most people use. Because there just weren't enough of us hams that I wheeled with, before now. I've always used the 805 repeater, because I can hit it from my house. I know I have 444.9875 programmed into my radio, but unsure if I have both PL's or just one. If we're going to use 70cm on the trail, I'm not sure we really need a PL on simplex. I think some use it to filter out others on the frequency. I really couldn't tell you if I even have simplex programmed or not. I guess I'll have to check.

In case anyone is confused as to what we're talking about, this may help clear it up.

http://www.rubicontrail.org/rtf-hamradios.htm
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

You're a super genius....
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

Sccafire

« Reply #61 on: June 22, 2018, 10:18:43 AM »

Scott, just noticed your profile says Anderson, did you guys sell the place in Lincoln?

Yes, We moved. Laura accepted a position at Shasta Regional. We have been here since Feburary. We will be moving in to our new home hopefully next week.
Scott

Sccafire

« Reply #62 on: June 22, 2018, 10:36:08 AM »

Do most people use the 70cm repeater located near Spider instead of one of the .805 repeaters? I guess the 107.2 PL links to 146.805. Being a newbie I will likely be using simplex anyway. I read some people decode PL on handhelds? Do you use the PL on 70cm simplex? KI7SCT out

Hopefully this may help you with your question.

Spider repeater hast 3 PL Tones
First tone for trail use only. While using this tone you will be able to talk to anybody on the trail from Loon to Tahoe.

Second Tone is linked to the 805. When you talk using this PL it will also be heard on the 805 repeater in Placerville. This means you can talk to most everybody in Sac valley

Third tone is linked to a repeater in the Tahoe area. Again will let you talk to others outside the Rubicon in the Tahoe area.

If just talking simplex between your buddies I would not use a 70cm frequency. I would use 146.400-146.580 or 147.420-147.570. Doing this would keep you from tying up the spider repeater and have a greater chance that only you and your friends will only be the ones using that particular frequency.

Most people who us the PL's that are linked to the outside repeaters are to check-in with family members. The 805 repeater is used by El Dorado County SAR. If you have an emergency use that PL. I believe somebody is listening to it 24/7

Scott

Screaming Bear

• Supporting Member
  • "the Bear Whisperer"
« Reply #63 on: June 22, 2018, 11:53:07 AM »

Thanks Scott, good to know. Being new to this I am being too shy to use this thing. Hoping to get more comfortable talking among friends on the upcoming trip. I plan to just listen to the .805 and practice on simplex frequencies you mentioned.
Ben, you might be out on the trail when I'm heading in on Saturday. Let me know what simplex I might find you on.  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 11:56:41 AM by Screaming Bear »
51 CJ3-A, 4.3 TBI Chevy, SM420, Dana 18TC, 30/44 Full Floaters, Yukon Front Axle and Hubs, rear drive flanges, Detroit Fr / E-Locker Rr, 4.27:1 Gears, 74:1, HD steering / 4 wheel disk brakes, Viair 550C, 100% LED - VisionX headlights, Rigid Light-bar, DOT Fogs, Grote tail, Soft Top and Heater, 35"KM-2's, 3" up, no articulation - it works

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: June 22, 2018, 12:38:37 PM »

This is a reply to both you guys.

I already have 147.585 simplex programmed into my radio. I've used that frequency, well since '86. My friend lived about 6 blocks away and we'd talk on it a lot. This was back before anyone had cell phones, but we had pagers. One of us would the page other...

I'm not sure if that conflicts with any repeaters around here. But up there on the trail it should be fine for simplex.

Doug, since you'll be coming on 50 to get to camp, we should probably use the 805 repeater. I know it's like giving a speech to your 9th grade class for the first time. :peep: But it's really the best way. We might be driving through to Loon or whatever. It would be nice to know what we're up to though. Just get on and act like you belong.  :2thumbsup:

You only have to give your call sign at the beginning of the conversation and the end. Or every 10 minutes if it's a long conversation. But be prepared to say it phonetically if someone asks you for it.

Kilo India 7 Sierra Charlie Tango

White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

Screaming Bear

• Supporting Member
  • "the Bear Whisperer"
« Reply #65 on: June 22, 2018, 01:05:56 PM »

Ben, do you have dual watch so I can try you on simplex first? If not I'll put my big-boy pants on. Okay, I can do this.  :peep:
51 CJ3-A, 4.3 TBI Chevy, SM420, Dana 18TC, 30/44 Full Floaters, Yukon Front Axle and Hubs, rear drive flanges, Detroit Fr / E-Locker Rr, 4.27:1 Gears, 74:1, HD steering / 4 wheel disk brakes, Viair 550C, 100% LED - VisionX headlights, Rigid Light-bar, DOT Fogs, Grote tail, Soft Top and Heater, 35"KM-2's, 3" up, no articulation - it works

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #66 on: June 22, 2018, 02:45:30 PM »

I'm pretty sure I do, but I'll have to figure out how to do it. The dam radio does everything, but I don't remember anything.

But you do know that you could be talking to me possibly, coming down the hill on 50, on the repeater..

Dieck

• Supporting Member
  • Beer me.
« Reply #67 on: June 23, 2018, 07:50:34 PM »

I just got a cheap baofeng. 5something-somethingsomething+

KM6UEY CQ?   

I scanned the book but mainly used a phone app that had all the questions and I just quizzed myself when I had a few moments here and there.

Test was easy.  I can say that I really have no idea how to use the radio.  I tried to say hello on some repeater but failed .  Not sure how to do the offsets and all that .  Not even sure how to program a frequency .  Funny, been talking in a walkie talkie for three decades. I keyed up the Ham and froze. Lol

I will say getting that cable and using computer to program is the way to go it seems. It just took me several days to figure out how to get drivers/freeware to work on computer.  I actually have not used my computer in like five years which may give you an idea how old it is.

I have enjoyed listening. My wife is all, why do you like listening to those ole’ coots?” I say, “cuz you married one. “‘

I guess today is the biggest day of the year for the Ham folks . FIELD DAY.  I wanted to check one of them out but working all day/night.

BEN! It just occurred to me as I was thinking about antennas! Were we supposed to trade?

What kinda ham antenna should I get?

KM6UEY clear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1995 wrangler SE 2.5 5sp 30/35 dana. Lockers . Teralow. Leafs Over. 35" KO2s . A lot of dents.

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #68 on: June 23, 2018, 10:18:14 PM »

I think that was CB antennas. Did you get an owners manual with the radio? Is there a model number on the radio? Maybe you can find the site where you bought it. We need more info to help you out. Just make sure you bring all that stuff to the Rubicon. :biggrin:

Screaming Bear

• Supporting Member
  • "the Bear Whisperer"
« Reply #69 on: June 24, 2018, 07:55:03 AM »

Is it a UV-5RV2+ ? I have a pair of those with 3800mA batteries. I bought a speaker mike and Nagoya whip antenna for one of them. People in my club bought the HP models and said they are programed with FRS and weather. Mine had channels in it but I think they were test channels. The speaker mike is flakey and the Nagoya isn't tuned for FRS.
I am looking forward to actually using my Yaesu. KI7SCT clear

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: June 24, 2018, 08:55:01 AM »

Greg, is this the Baofang radio you bought?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HX03AMA/ref=psdc_912322_t3_B00KFL1L7A

It's the one Doug originally bought and posted a link to, on page 1 of this thread.

Edit: I guess I should have noticed that Doug posted an hour earlier. But I was busy running around looking at stuff.

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #71 on: June 24, 2018, 12:18:15 PM »

Note: I edited my previous post #64, to change my simplex pre-programmed frequency to 147.585.

And Doug, I can actually monitor that frequency and the 805 repeater at the same time. But it was hard to set up. I have a scan mode. But I have to go in and lock out all the frequencies that I have in memory(in 2m), then it will only scan those two.

Also, all my buttons on the radio are working perfectly. I did go in and spray all the contacts with Deoxit last year.

Dieck

• Supporting Member
  • Beer me.
« Reply #72 on: June 24, 2018, 11:06:34 PM »

Yes Doug and Ben, that is the one. I also got the slightly longet antenna and the larger battery.

Been browsing for a mag mount antenna .  Something like this work? Pretty cheap and only a 19”.   Or should I spend a few bucks more to getting something longer ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1995 wrangler SE 2.5 5sp 30/35 dana. Lockers . Teralow. Leafs Over. 35" KO2s . A lot of dents.

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #73 on: June 25, 2018, 05:38:07 AM »

I honestly don't know anything about it. If you're going the mag mount route, a short one like that is good on the trail. It also has some decent reviews. You're going to need an adapter cable to go along with it though. It has a PL-259 connector on the end. I'm not sure what your Baofeng antenna mount is, but this might work.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00COKNKS8/ref=nav_timeline_asin?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Screaming Bear

• Supporting Member
  • "the Bear Whisperer"
« Reply #74 on: June 27, 2018, 05:49:31 PM »

The HT works pretty good as-is vehicle to vehicle in simplex. You'd probably have no problem hitting the Rubicon repeaters either. No sense tethering yourself to the Jeep IMO.

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #75 on: July 08, 2018, 03:01:20 PM »

So I've been on Pirate looking up repeaters. I started posting back and forth with a guy from Danville. He wants to talk with us on Saturday night on the repeater. I'll try and set up a time to talk with him.

The thread on Pirate is here if you want to see.

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/usa-northern-california/2244042-ham-radio-trail-frequencies.html#post43957646

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #76 on: July 08, 2018, 04:28:01 PM »

I also found something cool, it's called Echolink. You can monitor repeaters from your computer or cell phone. There's apps for iPhone and Android. And supposedly you can talk and message on it. I'm not sure how that works yet, but it sounds cool. It won't work until you register your call sign and they validate it. Here's the link:

http://www.echolink.org/

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]