Norcal Jeepers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Attention members! We are going to be switching our URL from: www.norcaljeepers.co   to: www.norcaljeepers.com
The .net is already gone. Please bookmark the .com URL.  If you use tapatalk, you will have to switch over eventually.

Welcome to Norcal Jeepers!
Welcome to Norcal Jeepers! It looks like you're not registered yet. As a guest you are missing out on a bunch of great content that is only viewable once you register. To register, simply follow the link below and fill out some information about yourself. It only takes a few minutes!

Click here to register now!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Witty CB chat..  (Read 767 times)

Dieck

• Beer me.
Re: Witty CB chat..
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2017, 11:20:39 AM »

I was looking at those.  Quality control can be issue with the Co but they seem to be a good value.   They do have a newer model but I really don't see much difference.  Can ya get an adapter to plug into 12v to charge in the road?  Also heard updating antennae is worth money for range .  I gotta pull plug and get one..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1995 wrangler SE 2.5 5sp 30/35 dana. Lockers . Teralow. Leafs Over. 35" KO2s . A lot of dents.

Mr.B

• "But officer, it was a Subaru!"
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2017, 12:07:19 PM »

Wow, those things are cheep. I paid $300 for a dual band handheld radio, back in the '80s. But it was an Icom, a reputable Japanese company. Yaesu, Kenwood, Icom were considered top of the line. Alinco was up and coming. These cheap Chinese knock offs are going to put the Japanese company's out of business. Just like they did to the American company's.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

You're a super genius....
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2017, 12:56:34 PM »

You should also invest in a mounted antenna. You may have trouble hitting repeaters in mountainous areas with just the "rubber duck" antenna. I looked at the extended antenna that they recommend, and it doesn't have a BNC connector for the rubber duck. I don't know if that is the industry standard now or not. But you should check to see if you can get and adapter for a mounted antenna. PL259 was the standard connector for mounted antennas, and is what I use on both my ham and CB. A 90 adapter would be ideal. That way you won't have that big wire sticking up every time you pick it up to talk. That was the way I ran my ham for the first couple of years. Until I got a mobile unit.

It looks like they recommend the UT-72 mag mount antenna to go with it. And it comes with an SMA to PL-259 adapter. The trouble with mag mounts is that they keep getting hit by stuff on the trail.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

Screaming Bear

• "the Bear Whisperer"
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2017, 08:22:39 PM »

I was looking at those.  Quality control can be issue with the Co but they seem to be a good value.   They do have a newer model but I really don't see much difference.  Can ya get an adapter to plug into 12v to charge in the road?  Also heard updating antennae is worth money for range .  I gotta pull plug and get one..
Yeah, their new tri-power BF-F9 V2+ has 8w. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KE5SMQ0/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2N4WEHR75JQMH&colid=RST4FTUVT23O claims to plug into the 3800 battery IT DIDN'T, all I found just plug into the charge station (useless while moving). I saw adapters for antenna cable on Amazon also.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 08:48:38 AM by Screaming Bear »
51 CJ3-A, 4.3 TBI Chevy, SM420, Dana 18TC, 30/44 Full Floaters, Yukon Front Axle and Hub upgrade, rear drive flanges, Detroit Fr / E-Locker Rr, 4.27:1 Gears, 74:1, HD steering / power, 4 wheel disk brakes, Viair 550C, VisionX LED headlights, Soft Top and Heater, 35"KM-2's, 3" Lift, no articulation - it works

Dieck

• Beer me.
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2017, 05:02:09 AM »

Seems like that is a nice feature on a pro-longed trip.

1995 wrangler SE 2.5 5sp 30/35 dana. Lockers . Teralow. Leafs Over. 35" KO2s . A lot of dents.

pdangerp

• Supporting Member
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2017, 05:54:06 AM »

Ben and I used to use Ham a little on the rubicon, but his old radio is stuck on one channel if I remember correctly. I used to use my handheld to listen to the repeater. I also recommend a mounted antenna with a wire run to your handheld.

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2017, 06:40:33 AM »

Well its not really stuck on one frequency. It's hard to add a frequency. All the little dials that you have to turn to change frequencies, jump around when you turn them. Too much beer spilled on it.:cheers2:
If the frequency is already in the memory it's easier.

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2017, 06:56:19 AM »

Now this is a real radio. 45 watts on 2m.

pdangerp

• Supporting Member
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2017, 07:40:40 AM »

Now this is a real radio. 45 watts on 2m.

You buying a new one? Get rid of the beer soaked one?

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2017, 09:19:37 AM »

No, that's the one I currently have. They don't make them like that anymore. I just need to go in with some contact cleaner.

Screaming Bear

• "the Bear Whisperer"
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2017, 09:44:02 AM »

Ben and I used to use Ham a little on the rubicon, but his old radio is stuck on one channel if I remember correctly. I used to use my handheld to listen to the repeater. I also recommend a mounted antenna with a wire run to your handheld.

Yeah if I use this enough I will get an antenna and probably a speaker/mike, though they don't seem to get good reviews.
51 CJ3-A, 4.3 TBI Chevy, SM420, Dana 18TC, 30/44 Full Floaters, Yukon Front Axle and Hub upgrade, rear drive flanges, Detroit Fr / E-Locker Rr, 4.27:1 Gears, 74:1, HD steering / power, 4 wheel disk brakes, Viair 550C, VisionX LED headlights, Soft Top and Heater, 35"KM-2's, 3" Lift, no articulation - it works

amcguy

• 'better to burn out than rust away" Neil Young
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2017, 08:43:17 PM »

Jumping in a little late. Recommend getting a HAM Ticket and using the reasonably price and high quality and abundant amateur radio equipment that is available. For the most part there is no better or reliable communications option. Most local HAM clubs hold classes all the time. Another great advantage is FM radios are not subject to man made noise such as ignition.
I run a Yasue dual banded in my JK but wish I had stuck with Kenwood which is much easier to program. I also carry a 40 channel CB handheld for those trips when I am the only HAM.
AMCGUY, KC6SLE, amateur extra

Screaming Bear

• "the Bear Whisperer"
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2017, 09:19:53 AM »

... Recommend getting a HAM Ticket.... Another great advantage is FM radios are not subject to man made noise such as ignition....
AMCGUY, KC6SLE, amateur extra
Yep I need to get a licence. Hoping a mounted antenna will not pick up noise like my CB does. I have not found the right mounting yet and don't want to use a mag mount out on my hood. The rest of my NGP Jeep is fiberglass and doesn't even shield the electric fuel pump EMI.

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2017, 09:40:36 AM »

Back in the late '80's I had a Chevy Lumina APV, for a company van. The APV stood for "All Plastic Vehicle". :biggrin:

I had a 2m "no ground plane" antenna attached to it. It worked quite well, but it was just a 2m antenna. I think I still have it somewhere, if your interested. I also have a spare splitter lying around somewhere too.

Screaming Bear

• "the Bear Whisperer"
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2017, 02:40:24 PM »

There are some good dual-band antennas available from Tram Diamond or Browning etc. Looks like I might use an "L" bracket with NMO mount to SMA connector. I tried the recommended 17" whip on the radio but didn't like it. Sent it back.
For now I an using the radios vehicle to vehicle as GMRS/FRS even though over 1 watt is an FCC no-no with fine or prison.  :police:

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2017, 02:55:29 PM »

Doesn't it have a low power option?

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2017, 03:10:16 PM »

Check this antenna out. It's supposedly no ground plane.

http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-000061

amcguy

• 'better to burn out than rust away" Neil Young
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2017, 09:42:48 PM »

Ben is right, a 5/8 wave antenna does not require a ground plane, therefor steel body. But you are not going to find a dual band antenna where both frequencies are 5/8 wave. It's a physical versus electrical reality. But you could run two antennas, different frequencies both 5/8 wave.

Check out Diamond and Comet antennas. Both very good. Both have the option of folding the antennas sideways to clear say garage openings. I like Comet personnaly, but have used both.
amcguy

Screaming Bear

• "the Bear Whisperer"
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2017, 08:43:17 AM »

I received my speaker/mike and sound quality was pretty good. My intention was to hang the radio on the passenger headrest and use the mike and an external antenna. Well, the Kenwood style plug in these radios suck- any stress on the cord and they break up. I will probably just use these as walkie talkies on FRS until I get a licence. We used them yesterday on an all day trail ride and they worked great.
So I take it the Dual Band antennas are a compromise?
https://www.amazon.com/Comet-Original-CA-2X4SRNMO-Dual-Band-Connector/dp/B00NWYVM94/ref=pd_cp_23_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00NWYVM94&pd_rd_r=5X169V43Y1GDM7J5RS8W&pd_rd_w=HKQJ8&pd_rd_wg=cGoQv&psc=1&refRID=5X169V43Y1GDM7J5RS8W

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2017, 04:56:26 AM »

That antenna looks pretty good, but I don't know much about it. It seemed to have good reviews.

Antenna connections on handhelds are always the weak link. I think I used 2 90 adapters(BNC at the time) to run the cable down the side. And maybe used Velcro to hold it to radio. It helped greatly on the stress of the antenna mount.

Pages: 1 [2] 3