Norcal Jeepers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Norcal Jeepers!
Welcome to Norcal Jeepers! It looks like you're not registered yet. As a guest you are missing out on a bunch of great content that is only viewable once you register. To register, simply follow the link below and fill out some information about yourself. It only takes a few minutes!

Click here to register now!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11

Author Topic: MOAB 2018  (Read 8100 times)

RockWoRM

• LJ's do it longer
  • Supporting Member
Re: MOAB 2018
« Reply #80 on: January 02, 2018, 12:13:07 PM »

I'd be more than happy to go watch Tim and his 60's try Helldorado.  :cheers2:  :thumbsup:
'05 LJR, 4.0, HT, AC, 6sp, 5.13 D44's, Alloy shafts, RC long arm w/6" MC dual rate coils, All MC armor, Warn 9.5, OEM front bumper, Rockhard rear swing out, ProComp bolt in int. cage. CB

RockWoRM

• LJ's do it longer
  • Supporting Member
« Reply #81 on: January 02, 2018, 05:15:48 PM »

Wait until you're retired, you'll be doing that with everything. Like news articles with dead body found in the back yard.
maybe you can give me pointers on daily activities. I know one of them will not be riding motorcycles.   :smokin:

maybe Doug can get me into backpacking...with my fat crippled arse... maybe...  :knock:  :knock:
'05 LJR, 4.0, HT, AC, 6sp, 5.13 D44's, Alloy shafts, RC long arm w/6" MC dual rate coils, All MC armor, Warn 9.5, OEM front bumper, Rockhard rear swing out, ProComp bolt in int. cage. CB

Goobersbro

« Reply #82 on: January 02, 2018, 07:14:54 PM »

I'll be climbing Shasta.  Y'all have fun and take lots of pictures so I can enjoy Moab.  Can't wait to get back out there

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #83 on: January 02, 2018, 07:44:12 PM »

I'd love to check out BFE some day.

Sean is coming and it's his first time so I think Poison Spyder (triple threat) and Hells Revenge are both musts.  I wouldn't mind doing Metal Masher again.  Steel Bender is relatively boring with the exception of the one spot that no one wants to go up or down.  Moab Rim would be ok, but I'd also be fine passing it by.  Elephant Hill isn't challenging but it sure is beautiful and I'd be up for that too.  I'm fluid really. 

We can get there as early as Friday, but I don't really want to push it too much.  Maybe as we get closer we can get meet times etc down better.  Sean and I will caravan if we've got his junk built by then, if not he'll ride with me, either way he's going.

Screaming Bear

• Supporting Member
  • "the Bear Whisperer"
« Reply #84 on: January 03, 2018, 08:59:06 AM »

Randy: Car Show, 7M, EH, HR, PS/GS/GB,      ,      , Arches, Corona Arch hike
Tim:     Car Show,     , EH, HR, PS/GS/GB, MM, BFE,
Doug is up for anything, JJ might not be hiking on his new knee, Jim has an open front diff, so might grab a seat for class 5 stuff.
Sean:
Jason:
Matt:
Patrick:
other:
Steel Bender is better if bypasses aren't taken but agree it's mostly "oh hum". BFE will be fun! Haven't done Pickle trails via Wipe Out Hill. There is a lot of scenic stuff up that way, but not much challenge. Cliff Hanger? Land Rovers?
Tim, when are you and Sean heading home?
51 CJ3-A, 4.3 TBI Chevy, SM420, Dana 18TC, 30/44 Full Floaters, Yukon Front Axle and Hub upgrade, rear drive flanges, Detroit Fr / E-Locker Rr, 4.27:1 Gears, 74:1, HD steering / power, 4 wheel disk brakes, Viair 550C, VisionX LED headlights, Soft Top and Heater, 35"KM-2's, 3" Lift, no articulation - it works

RockWoRM

• LJ's do it longer
  • Supporting Member
« Reply #85 on: January 03, 2018, 04:45:01 PM »

Jim has an open front diff, so might grab a seat for class 5 stuff.

Talked to my brother (in law) Lee, and they are not taking/bringing the quads. So that issue is out of the way. BUT... the girls may not want to do the long day for triple threat (speculation), so if it turns out that way I would have seat space for Jim.

side note;  took the junk up to the local wheeling area up by Shaver Lake and played around a bit with my buddy Rick (CJ-5, Willys, TJ, JKR, JKU... he took the JKR) since there is no snow and Bald Mtn. is totally open and it is basically the first time wheeling since the new CA's and E-locker install this last summer. All went smooth! Suspension seemed to work well, and locker worked well also. (really only needed it in a couple spots) So that makes me feel a little better... ;-) I honestly like having separate switch's for front and rear lockers.
Wish it was April already... can't wait!  :rockon:

Screaming Bear

• Supporting Member
  • "the Bear Whisperer"
« Reply #86 on: January 04, 2018, 08:45:51 AM »

Here are the RR4W's trail descriptions, many are not in the "Bible"we carry.
http://www.rr4w.com/Trails-Home.cfm
51 CJ3-A, 4.3 TBI Chevy, SM420, Dana 18TC, 30/44 Full Floaters, Yukon Front Axle and Hub upgrade, rear drive flanges, Detroit Fr / E-Locker Rr, 4.27:1 Gears, 74:1, HD steering / power, 4 wheel disk brakes, Viair 550C, VisionX LED headlights, Soft Top and Heater, 35"KM-2's, 3" Lift, no articulation - it works

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #87 on: January 04, 2018, 10:26:13 AM »

Tim, when are you and Sean heading home?

I don't know, we're pretty open at this point.  We both took off until May 12th, so we have to be home by then.  I figured we'll stay the first week and then see how it's going maybe stay 2-3 more days or the week who knows.  If we get his new rig done and he tows it out he can always head back earlier if needed.

RockWoRM

• LJ's do it longer
  • Supporting Member
« Reply #88 on: January 11, 2018, 09:04:58 AM »

Was checking out the red rocks listings and watching some youtube videos. Cliffhanger is now rated an 8, IIRC it was a 7? Doug mentioned the Pickle trail... that thing looks purdy nasty... not short wheel base friendly at all! But only has a 7 rating?? Behind the rocks Tip toe version might be interesting?
Anywho... I would prolly only have time for 1 extra trail the way it's looking... just play it by ear.

Skorch

« Reply #89 on: January 11, 2018, 10:03:09 AM »

Cliffhanger is pretty easy, it gets your attention but it's not to difficult.  It's also another trail that you have to drive out the same way you came in.  Mark

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #90 on: January 11, 2018, 07:46:50 PM »

We only made it in a couple hundred yards on Cliff Hanger last year, there were guys getting towed out as we came in and someone broke down ahead of us, so we turned around and left.  Coming out of there is quite a challenge for short wheelbase vehicles too.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 08:06:35 AM by timatoe »

Skorch

« Reply #91 on: January 13, 2018, 08:09:36 AM »

Hers some of it, 
https://youtu.be/CetsM3LuHxw

Screaming Bear

• Supporting Member
  • "the Bear Whisperer"
« Reply #92 on: January 14, 2018, 07:31:56 PM »

The video brings back memories, I wouldn't mind that adrenaline rush again. You wouldn't have to twist my arm for Pritchett either. I'm bored.
Without me going through this whole thread, can someone tell me if we decided on Ken's Lake BLM sites?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 09:16:28 AM by Screaming Bear »

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #93 on: January 14, 2018, 08:06:33 PM »

I like Ken's Lake, but mostly because we could get that group site.  I suppose if we had early birds show up and could snatch up the required sites and they were all close together that would be good.

Screaming Bear

• Supporting Member
  • "the Bear Whisperer"
« Reply #94 on: January 15, 2018, 08:03:45 AM »

Okay. So with Larry out, I guess no one else wants a commercial cg. I'll get there as early as I can Thursday or Friday. There are twice as many sites at Ken's Lake this year. I should have two or three extra geezer passes to grab sites with. The upper loop has more privacy but we may end up out in the open main loop in order to be together.
JJ is having trouble climbing in and out of his Jeep so he is iffy at this point. He still has plenty of time to heal and we're taking my 3-A which has a lot more room than his cj-5. I am going either way.

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #95 on: January 15, 2018, 06:01:12 PM »

So I suppose they got that new section open?

My plans will get more in line as we get closer, but I'll be there no later than Sunday afternoon, maybe Saturday if we head out Friday.  If we only bring Sean's giant tent we won't be setting that up at Sacramento Pass, we may make alternate plans for the night heading in, or even drive further, who knows.

Screaming Bear

• Supporting Member
  • "the Bear Whisperer"
« Reply #96 on: January 15, 2018, 07:35:17 PM »

The CG used to be like 27 total sites, I think it is listed at 52 now. I plan to drive farther than Sac Pass, maybe to where we camped on the way home last year. Moab is only 2hrs from there, plus a little time to fill my water.
There might be a motel in Delta or Salina that could work for you.

RockWoRM

• LJ's do it longer
  • Supporting Member
« Reply #97 on: January 15, 2018, 09:23:16 PM »

The video brings back memories, I wouldn't mind that adrenaline rush again. You wouldn't have to twist my arm for Pritchett either. I'm bored.

I'm not doing Pritchett!  :peep: :biggrin: lol

But I'd be up for trying Cliffhanger. Those cliff parts look like Moab Rim! :eek:  If that doesn't happen, Metal masher is a cool trail.

Either way... I'm hoping we can get Poison spider/golden spike dialed in earlier in the week so we make sure to get it in!  :thumbsup:

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #98 on: January 17, 2018, 09:08:03 PM »

The CG used to be like 27 total sites, I think it is listed at 52 now. I plan to drive farther than Sac Pass, maybe to where we camped on the way home last year. Moab is only 2hrs from there, plus a little time to fill my water.
There might be a motel in Delta or Salina that could work for you.

We may even take 80 rather than 50 if it's just the trucks, but yeah that wouldn't be bad either.  We may have a 3rd, but no firm commit on that yet.  If so, that area we stayed in last year on the way out wouldn't be bad for a night, just gotta remember where it was.  We can make it in one shot, but I don't want to get to Ken's and be setting up in the dark.

Either way... I'm hoping we can get Poison spider/golden spike dialed in earlier in the week so we make sure to get it in!  :thumbsup:

Good idea.

Screaming Bear

• Supporting Member
  • "the Bear Whisperer"
« Reply #99 on: January 18, 2018, 08:21:09 AM »

I emailed BLM/Moab and they replied this morning. 53 sites open at Ken's Lake this year. That should better our chances of being together. That area is wide open without any trees. Guess it doesn't matter as we are out on the trails all day.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11