Norcal Jeepers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Norcal Jeepers!
Welcome to Norcal Jeepers! It looks like you're not registered yet. As a guest you are missing out on a bunch of great content that is only viewable once you register. To register, simply follow the link below and fill out some information about yourself. It only takes a few minutes!

Click here to register now!

Author Topic: Affordable Tube Bender  (Read 1788 times)

tearin_updirt

Affordable Tube Bender
« on: January 30, 2018, 12:16:36 PM »

Hey everyone I was looking to pick up a tube bender. However I am really lost in the sauce I didn't know there was so many options and styles. I was looking for a manual one because I am poor and young still so might as well utilize my short yellow bus strength before i get too old. I was looking at an eastwood manual. My plans for it is to bend up a cage eventually but first build a grill hoop and short flat top stinger, and sub frame for my tummy tuck. Anyone with experience, insight, or really anything is very helpful!
98 TJ aka Little Mudder
4.88 and Locked

timatoe

• Administrator
Re: Affordable Tube Bender
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 04:36:38 PM »

I looked at the Eastwood as well, it has good reviews.  Most of the benders on the market are about the same price, it's the dies that get you.  A $300 bender will be about a grand by time to add two dies and shipping.

CNS0825

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 05:57:48 AM »

I actually have the Eastwood one and yes by the time you add the dies the stand and the handle your about a grand into it haven’t used mine yet but it looks well made. Also the jd squared one is a nice one have a few buddies with them and it works very well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tearin_updirt

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 08:49:47 AM »

As for a notching tube I was thinking about making jig for my cordless drill and a hole saw. Has anyone done something like this? or can recommend any other DIY ideas to keep my costs down.
98 TJ aka Little Mudder
4.88 and Locked

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 10:21:53 AM »

Cordless won't have enough torque.  I got the JD2 Notchmaster, it's pricey for what it is but it works great.  I forget who carries it, but there's a notcher called the Joint Jigger or something like that.  It seems pretty affordable.  HF makes a knock off of that one too.

norcal_chris

• always down to wheel
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 09:24:22 PM »

I did my whole buggy with a harbor freight notcher and hand notching.

Hf notcher did all the easy to setup notches.  Basically all the straight to 20deg ones.  Rest I did by hand. 
Ruined a perfectly good jeep.

Tru_Fab_Built

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 07:35:11 PM »

https://youtu.be/AQB1pYH1xiE

This video is great for simple 90° notches. Anything more than that I've always used the HF notched.

I wouldn't know if I ever had something nice if it's all from HF lol

Time only helps working with tube. I forget then throw a couple pieces away and pick it back up.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

tearin_updirt

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 02:07:18 PM »

Awesome I really appreciate the insight! Gonna roll with the HF for I am all about balling on a budget. Been perusing local CL looking to see if someone is dumping off a bender for cheap
98 TJ aka Little Mudder
4.88 and Locked