Norcal Jeepers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Well that was a fun 40 hours. Thank you Godaddy. We're back up and running, but in the next 30 days there will some scheduled down time.

Welcome to Norcal Jeepers!
Welcome to Norcal Jeepers! It looks like you're not registered yet. As a guest you are missing out on a bunch of great content that is only viewable once you register. To register, simply follow the link below and fill out some information about yourself. It only takes a few minutes!

Click here to register now!

Author Topic: power steering  (Read 931 times)

bigsquat

power steering
« on: February 14, 2018, 08:55:21 PM »

i have a 91 ford f150 power pump hooked to a 1986 cherokee box. it whines a lot.  it might be the pump but i wondering if its a compatibility issue. any thoughts?

Mr.B

• "But officer, it was a Subaru!"
  • Administrator
Re: power steering
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 06:14:41 AM »

I'm not sure about compatibility.

How long did you run it after you hooked it all up? Is the pump brand new? I don't know if it is even possible, but I have to ask, is it possible you hooked the lines up backwards? Also, could the pump be rotating the wrong way?

So many questions. :rockon:

I remember my pump whined for a good twenty minutes when I first hooked it all up. I think it took that long just to get all the air bubbles out of it.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

You're a super genius....
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

bigsquat

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 09:14:39 AM »

The pump is used and I don't know if it was every replaced. It could be the original 91. The lines should be right. Would it even work backwards? I can't seem to find out what the output pressure of the Jeep vs a Ford. From what I've read u can change pressure's by adding or deleting shims on a spring where the output is

bigsquat

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 09:28:45 AM »

I don't know if it whines because of to little or to much pressure. Or if it's just bad. I put synthetic power steering fluid in it

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 11:05:28 AM »

Does the pump have a remote reservoir? It could be sucking fluid too fast and in turn sucking air.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

bigsquat

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 07:07:03 PM »

its built in on the back of the pump

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2018, 08:41:14 PM »

Well that makes it kind of hard to mix up the hoses then. If you had a remote reservoir, you could have the pump intake higher than the return. :biggrin:

Can you open the reservoir to watch the fluid while it's running? It might be sucking air.

Day215

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2018, 08:14:16 PM »

Is the fluid cavitating, does it do it if you jack up the front wheels?
92 Toyota minitruck Front Dana 60 4.88s, Lincoln locked, drive slugs blah blah blah. Rear Dana 70 4.88s, Lincoln locked, 63 chevys. W56 5speed, 2.28 duals, 22re. 39.5s and other stuff. Bobbed, exod, cut up etc. I used to wheel a YJ, then I defected. Now no one talks to me anymore.....cant completly blame that on the switch though.

I'm out of the club. Stay away from my wiener.

Screaming Bear

• Supporting Member
  • "the Bear Whisperer"
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2018, 09:24:42 PM »

We ran a Chevy pump on my brothers Bronco - Ford steering box and Chevy hydro boost brakes. Seemed to be compatible in that direction. We did hook the lines backwards accidentally and trust me, you would know. Bang! As others said, noise is usually air bubbles. The best way to bleed the system is with the drag link off so you can run the steering box lock to lock many times first with the engine off. (I forget the term) Those bubbles usually congeal overnight and things quiet down. We had trouble getting the pulleys aligned so the serpentine belt wouldn't squeak. 
51 CJ3-A, 4.3 TBI Chevy, SM420, Dana 18TC, 30/44 Full Floaters, Yukon Front Axle and Hubs, rear drive flanges, Detroit Fr / E-Locker Rr, 4.27:1 Gears, 74:1, HD steering / 4 wheel disk brakes, Viair 550C, 100% LED - VisionX headlights, Rigid Light-bar, DOT Fogs, Grote tail, Soft Top and Heater, 35"KM-2's, 3" up, no articulation - it works

norcal_chris

• always down to wheel
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2018, 08:52:48 AM »

Ford ps pumps are notoriously poop.   Id slap a p pump on it
Ruined a perfectly good jeep.

bigsquat

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2018, 07:15:08 AM »

thanks guys for the input. ill have to see what a p pump is and if it will mount up to my existing brackets.  i havnt checked it with thwe wheels up. i did see with a little research the the cherokee pump puts out 1500 psi and the ford one puts out 1200 ,maybe i should try to modify the ford pump pressure valve

bigsquat

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2018, 07:23:17 AM »

ok i looked at a pic of a p pump and its the one that looks like a a canned ham. i think they came one the ford vans and have to use the vans bracket

bigsquat

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2018, 07:56:08 AM »

its 50% off at picknpull time until monday , i think ill go down and get a van setup and some mirrors for my dodge while im at it

bigsquat

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2018, 07:43:35 PM »

picked up the new pump today, its off a 96 e350 with a 5.8 motor, the brackets the same on the 5.0 thank God.

bigsquat

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2018, 07:47:25 PM »

the hose has a different end than the jeep box but when cut off it slides in tight to the old jeep tube which is larger. i brazed it up and just need to clean it up and paint the pump and bracket. i shouldnt of bought the warranty since all there lettering will come off

bigsquat

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2018, 06:13:03 PM »

it s and its really quiet !  not bad for a high mileage pump.