Norcal Jeepers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Norcal Jeepers!
Welcome to Norcal Jeepers! It looks like you're not registered yet. As a guest you are missing out on a bunch of great content that is only viewable once you register. To register, simply follow the link below and fill out some information about yourself. It only takes a few minutes!

Click here to register now!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: 12v Compressor  (Read 1695 times)

Mr.B

• "But officer, it was a Subaru!"
  • Administrator
Re: 12v Compressor
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2018, 09:36:26 AM »

I'm leaning toward "Doug's Deals" unless he's got a buyer already.  Although my next conundrum is where to mount it, maybe I need to move my tank to the underside.

Back when Daniel had a Jeep, he had the tank mounted under the tub right behind the drivers seat.

Ben... why down on Smittybuilt? All these things are made in China anyway.  :shaking:
Also, I believe the CFM @ 0 means if the hose were not connected and the pump was just free blowing, that would be the amount of CFM it produces. But that is just an edumakated guess.  :cheers2:

They make good sliders. I have a set. But hey, who can screw up sliders. :flipoff:

They're OK, it's just that they don't have a sterling reputation.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

You're a super genius....
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

Screaming Bear

• Supporting Member
  • "the Bear Whisperer"
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2018, 09:48:44 AM »

I'm leaning toward "Doug's Deals" unless he's got a buyer already.  Although my next conundrum is where to mount it, maybe I need to move my tank to the underside.
I use most of my roll cage as a tank, estimated about two and a half gallons capacity. Son is going to call me after work, I will get a shipping quote if Jim doesn't still want it.
51 CJ3-A, 4.3 TBI Chevy, SM420, Dana 18TC, 30/44 Full Floaters, Yukon Front Axle and Hub upgrade, rear drive flanges, Detroit Fr / E-Locker Rr, 4.27:1 Gears, 74:1, HD steering / power, 4 wheel disk brakes, Viair 550C, VisionX LED headlights, Soft Top and Heater, 35"KM-2's, 3" Lift, no articulation - it works

Skorch

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2018, 06:37:02 PM »

And we need a tank why?  Do you turn the compressor on long before you need to fill tires,  or you keep tank full of air at all times?  When filling a tire  the initial rush is good but then the compressor is trying to fill tires and tank.

Screaming Bear

• Supporting Member
  • "the Bear Whisperer"
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2018, 08:19:59 PM »

And we need a tank why?  Do you turn the compressor on long before you need to fill tires,  or you keep tank full of air at all times?  When filling a tire  the initial rush is good but then the compressor is trying to fill tires and tank.
IDK why. Maybe it's suggested for the airbag crowd, not us.
I fill up the tank when I'm almost out to the road. First tire fills fast then I go take a piss or something.
I agree the tank is slowing the entire process. I thought of adding a valve to switch to direct fill after the pressure drops.
51 CJ3-A, 4.3 TBI Chevy, SM420, Dana 18TC, 30/44 Full Floaters, Yukon Front Axle and Hub upgrade, rear drive flanges, Detroit Fr / E-Locker Rr, 4.27:1 Gears, 74:1, HD steering / power, 4 wheel disk brakes, Viair 550C, VisionX LED headlights, Soft Top and Heater, 35"KM-2's, 3" Lift, no articulation - it works

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2018, 08:43:49 AM »

Never really considered the tank slowing the process.  Hmm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Day215

« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2018, 09:59:10 AM »

After having my setup in place for awhile, Im realized the tank wasnt really doing anything. When I aired up, I was essentially filling straight from the compressor, because the tank would empty almost immediately.

With the Toyota, Im going to forego the engine mounted setup, and run a tankless 12v compressor.
92 Toyota minitruck. Front 5.29s grizzly locker trussed six shooter knuckles RCV chromos drive slugs blah blah blah. rear 5.29s Lincoln locked 63 chevys. W56 5speed, 2.28 doublets, 22re. 38.5s beadlocks and other stuff. Bobbed, exod, cut up etc. I used to wheel a YJ, then I defected. Now no one talks to me anymore.....cant completly blame that on the switch though.

I'm out of the club. Stay away from my wiener.

Screaming Bear

• Supporting Member
  • "the Bear Whisperer"
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2018, 06:00:36 PM »

Do the air chucks on tankless portables free-flow air when the compressor is on?
I would think a high CFM compressor could over pressurize before stopping. The hose might not buffer enough volume.
Probably would be a good idea to put the male coupler on the compressor / female on the hose and use a chuck that free-flows.
Any thoughts?

bigsquat

« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2018, 09:50:15 PM »

thats a good point. thats why they have that funky screw on type inflater like on mime. it always blowing air out either into the atmosphere or into the tire

andyinCopper

« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2018, 03:34:09 PM »

I completed my OBA recently using my Sanden A/C compressor. I got http://a.co/6QAYJtN from amazon. It's an open air chuck that clips on the tire. It always flows air when I have the compressor turned on. It really turned out pretty good.
1990 wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI, 3sp Auto, D30 E-locker front, 8.8 with trac-lok rear. np231. about 4" of lift. 33" BFG KM2s, SYE, Tom Woods Drive Shaft. □|||||||□

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2018, 10:21:22 PM »

That looks interesting. Now I'll have to go look at my hose, to see if I can put that on. It looks better than my HF chuck.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

Screaming Bear

• Supporting Member
  • "the Bear Whisperer"

Skorch

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2018, 09:30:31 AM »

What I really need is a locking air chuck that is at 90. So I can also use it on my motorcycle, that has a very minimal space between the stem and the wheel. All I have right now, that works is an old style chuck. Like the one in this picture on the very left. It probably doesn't exist.

https://www.amazon.com/Tru-Flate-Kit-Compressor-Access/dp/B000B5HM32/ref=sr_1_12?s=power-hand-tools&ie=UTF8&qid=1519406345&sr=1-12&keywords=90%C2%B0+air+chuck&tag=pda0ea-20

Screaming Bear

• Supporting Member
  • "the Bear Whisperer"

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2018, 10:07:19 PM »

Thanks Doug! Now I'll have figure out if I can fit it on my Inflator Gauge Hose.

Screaming Bear

• Supporting Member
  • "the Bear Whisperer"
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2018, 07:14:26 AM »

Since I use one of these;
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071CF514F/ref=sspa_dk_detail_2?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B071CF514F&pd_rd_wg=fLlVv&pd_rd_r=QT552PFHYPTS6G01J5QY&pd_rd_w=UscyW

I might need a small tank if the hose doesn't allow the compressor to cycle down without too much pressure. This is the smallest tank I found but a Vixen 0.5 Gal is a better deal considering it includes a drain, gauge and pressure switch.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001GC7H98/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I28ER3BQY7QTTD&colid=RST4FTUVT23O&psc=0

https://www.amazon.com/Vixen-Horns-Pressure-Compression-Fitting/dp/B016FTGJ0Y/ref=pd_sbs_263_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B016FTGJ0Y&pd_rd_r=QT552PFHYPTS6G01J5QY&pd_rd_w=vOEUc&pd_rd_wg=fLlVv&psc=1&refRID=QT552PFHYPTS6G01J5QY

These are ideas for Tim. I shipped his 480C, thanks Tim.

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2018, 12:40:21 PM »

Wonder if the hose on that inflator has standard threads on it?  I use a similar but without the digital gauge, I'd like to add a longer hose so I don't have to kneel down to use it (hurts my way too old for how young I am knees).

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2018, 02:21:07 PM »

Wonder if the hose on that inflator has standard threads on it?  I use a similar but without the digital gauge, I'd like to add a longer hose so I don't have to kneel down to use it (hurts my way too old for how young I am knees).

It looks like it does. My problem with the digital gauge is, well batteries. I'm not sure I would want to worry about them. I'm fine with the analog gauge.

Well today I went out on a hunt for a new hose for my inflator gauge. The hose has a pressed on chuck. I was looking for male 1/4" NPT threads on both sides. After going to 5 different stores, I failed. But someone recommended Rocklin Hydraulics. Of course they're closed today, so I'll have check it out tomorrow. I'm also looking for a longer hose. Because my (much older) knees don't like bending over either. I'll let you know what I find.

Oh, and also I went out to look at my old style chuck. And was surprised to find that i actually do have one of these:

I guess I have two different types.

Screaming Bear

• Supporting Member
  • "the Bear Whisperer"
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2018, 04:21:51 PM »

Mine is not digital but like that one it only flows air when you pull the trigger; checks pressure when you release. Yes, a longer hose would be better.
I'll see if tankless works with a closed chuck when I get around to rebuilding my 550c. I have the kit.
Tim, you probably know this but when you wire your's up, the on/off switch and pressure switch should be on the control side of a relay. The pressure switch won't last long on the main power line. I run a 90/115PSI switch.

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2018, 04:47:53 PM »

Yeah, I may get that small tank you listed too since it has a switch etc. or may cannibalize the stuff I already have.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4