Norcal Jeepers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Well that was a fun 40 hours. Thank you Godaddy. We're back up and running, but in the next 30 days there will some scheduled down time.

Welcome to Norcal Jeepers!
Welcome to Norcal Jeepers! It looks like you're not registered yet. As a guest you are missing out on a bunch of great content that is only viewable once you register. To register, simply follow the link below and fill out some information about yourself. It only takes a few minutes!

Click here to register now!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: bump steer  (Read 2567 times)

bigsquat

bump steer
« on: March 04, 2018, 07:05:38 PM »

i have some serious bump steer. when i gas it it turns right and when i let off it turns left. i have the drag link pretty close to parrallel.  it looks ok to me but what do u guys think?

« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 07:19:15 PM by bigsquat »

bigsquat

Re: bump steer
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 07:12:57 PM »

maybe the steering stabilizer is at to much an angle.

bigsquat

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 07:15:07 PM »

bigsquat

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 07:15:56 PM »

Mr.B

• "But officer, it was a Subaru!"
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 10:05:05 PM »

Why don't you remove it, and see how it feels.

How old are those KM's? I thought that BFG hadn't made those in years.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

You're a super genius....
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

Screaming Bear

• Supporting Member
  • "the Bear Whisperer"
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 07:25:35 AM »

Are your springs rocking side to side on their bushings? My steering was downright scary until I installed a track bar. If you plan to use long travel suspension this might not work for you. My Jeep has such short travel I didn't experience any ill effects from the track bar and the steering became responsive and equal left to right. If you can get the drag link and track bar parallel and the same length it would be perfect. I think I bought the kit from RuffStuff. My shocks had to be moved behind the axle.
51 CJ3-A, 4.3 TBI Chevy, SM420, Dana 18TC, 30/44 Full Floaters, Yukon Front Axle and Hubs, rear drive flanges, Detroit Fr / E-Locker Rr, 4.27:1 Gears, 74:1, HD steering / 4 wheel disk brakes, Viair 550C, 100% LED - VisionX headlights, Rigid Light-bar, DOT Fogs, Grote tail, Soft Top and Heater, 35"KM-2's, 3" up, no articulation - it works

bigsquat

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2018, 07:41:47 AM »

Why don't you remove it, and see how it feels.

How old are those KM's? I thought that BFG hadn't made those in years.

I thought about removing it and that will be my next step since its easy.

Those are really old tires, I got them on a jeep I had before my red one. It wouldn't smog so I sold it to a guy from Nevada, I kept the tires.

bigsquat

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2018, 07:47:15 AM »

Are your springs rocking side to side on their bushings? My steering was downright scary until I installed a track bar. If you plan to use long travel suspension this might not work for you. My Jeep has such short travel I didn't experience any ill effects from the track bar and the steering became responsive and equal left to right. If you can get the drag link and track bar parallel and the same length it would be perfect. I think I bought the kit from RuffStuff. My shocks had to be moved behind the axle.

I do get a lot of side movement and I was hoping I didn't need a track bar. It would be real hard to get parallel to the drag link. I would have to make a really low support from the frame, or raise the drag link by getting a less of a drop Pitman arm. But then it would cause more bump steer?

bigsquat

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2018, 07:51:33 AM »

Last night I added a shim to the rear of the front springs. The mount I made is a little wider than the o.d. of the spring. I hadn't tested it yet.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 07:54:37 AM by bigsquat »

bigsquat

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2018, 07:52:43 AM »

Would improper toe in cause bump steer as well?

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2018, 03:40:06 PM »

Yes it can mess with your steering. Here's a simple way you can do it yourself.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/basic-repair-front-end-alignment-994928/

If you can't see the pictures, you'll need to do the Photobucket fix.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/photobucket-fix-chrome-firefox-4181513/?hotlinkfix=1520293184701
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2018, 04:22:39 PM »

I had real bad bumpsteer at one point and it turned out to be a bad TRE, so I'd definitely check all those components in the system especially if you're re-using any old stuff.

bigsquat

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2018, 08:04:53 PM »

The rod ends seem good, I checked the toe in and it was 1/4" towed out!. It was where it was set when it was on the Cherokee. When I lowered the the steering box it changed the tie rod length. The tie rod on the Cherokee is different than my yj. I like the yj set up better. The toe in stays the same length . Any way the test drive was the same. So I'm taking the track bar off the Cherokee and putting it on. It will mount where the steering stabilizer is at the spring pad and I need to fab mount on the driver side frame. Ill post some pics tomorrow
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 12:13:28 PM by bigsquat »

bigsquat

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2018, 08:06:05 PM »

Anybody want an 86 Cherokee with no axles? I think I'm done robbing it

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2018, 10:10:52 PM »

Craigslist.

bigsquat

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2018, 09:30:22 PM »

got the tracbar installed and the shackles dont move side to side anymore. it still has some bump steer. ill need to get a shorter drop pitman arm to match the trac bar angle. i did drive it without a steering stabilizer so maybe it will improve when i install it

norcal_chris

• always down to wheel
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2018, 03:51:53 AM »

How much?  Does it run/ etc
Ruined a perfectly good jeep.

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2018, 04:01:42 AM »

I don't suppose you still have the lines for the power steering pump do you?  I'm assuming you used them.  I need a pressure line and the fitting for the box for the return line.

Screaming Bear

• Supporting Member
  • "the Bear Whisperer"
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2018, 08:17:26 AM »

The rod ends seem good, I checked the toe in and it was 1/4" towed out!. It was where it was set when it was on the Cherokee. When I lowered the the steering box it changed the tie rod length. The tie rod on the Cherokee is different than my yj. I like the yj set up better. The toe in stays the same length . Any way the test drive was the same. So I'm taking the track bar off the Cherokee and putting it on. It will mount where the steering stabilizer is at the spring pad and I need to fab mount on the driver side frame. Ill post some pics tomorrow
I never understood that tie rod/drag link design. It looks like you have room for a tie rod flip but that opens a whole other bucket of worms. It would be nice to change over to a "T" setup instead of that "Y" design in my opinion.
I can't see from your pictures where the drag link is located on the driver side frame so the actual drop isn't apparent.

No chance this is torque steer and not bump steer? How does it behave through the twisties with steady power?
Mark or Chris may be a better source of knowledge  :thumbsup:

« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 08:21:27 AM by Screaming Bear »
51 CJ3-A, 4.3 TBI Chevy, SM420, Dana 18TC, 30/44 Full Floaters, Yukon Front Axle and Hubs, rear drive flanges, Detroit Fr / E-Locker Rr, 4.27:1 Gears, 74:1, HD steering / 4 wheel disk brakes, Viair 550C, 100% LED - VisionX headlights, Rigid Light-bar, DOT Fogs, Grote tail, Soft Top and Heater, 35"KM-2's, 3" up, no articulation - it works

bigsquat

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2018, 07:04:35 PM »

How much?  Does it run/ etc

its free, missing a alotof stuff, im not sure if it ran before i got it, it wont  run now , its got a 2.8 v6, its a stick , no axles ,and its a 4 door
Pages: [1] 2 3