Norcal Jeepers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Well that was a fun 40 hours. Thank you Godaddy. We're back up and running, but in the next 30 days there will some scheduled down time.

Welcome to Norcal Jeepers!
Welcome to Norcal Jeepers! It looks like you're not registered yet. As a guest you are missing out on a bunch of great content that is only viewable once you register. To register, simply follow the link below and fill out some information about yourself. It only takes a few minutes!

Click here to register now!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: bump steer  (Read 2566 times)

bigsquat

Re: bump steer
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2018, 07:05:19 PM »

I don't suppose you still have the lines for the power steering pump do you?  I'm assuming you used them.  I need a pressure line and the fitting for the box for the return line.
    im sorry. i used them

bigsquat

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2018, 07:16:37 PM »

I never understood that tie rod/drag link design. It looks like you have room for a tie rod flip but that opens a whole other bucket of worms. It would be nice to change over to a "T" setup instead of that "Y" design in my opinion.
I can't see from your pictures where the drag link is located on the driver side frame so the actual drop isn't apparent.

im not sure about torque steer. should it have it if im in 2 wheel drive? 
I never understood that tie rod/drag link design. It looks like you have room for a tie rod flip but that opens a whole other bucket of worms. It would be nice to change over to a "T" setup instead of that "Y" design in my opinion.
I can't see from your pictures where the drag link is located on the driver side frame so the actual drop isn't apparent.

No chance this is torque steer and not bump steer? How does it behave through the twisties with steady power?
Mark or Chris may be a better source of knowledge  :thumbsup:

No chance this is torque steer and not bump steer? How does it behave through the twisties with steady power?
Mark or Chris may be a better source of knowledge  :thumbsup:

it feels like torque steer but why would i have it in 2wheel drive.  one thing that baffles me is that when parked and i turn the wheels it raises the frame up  one side and then i turn the wheels the opposite way the other side raises up. it seems more drastic after i installed the trac bar.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 08:51:05 PM by bigsquat »

bigsquat

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2018, 06:04:54 PM »

picked up another pitman arm thats not as tall as the stock one. its still an 1-1/2 off but better. replaced the input shaft seal as well. it seems a little better and i think once i get the front end bolted on it will stiffen the frame up some. for now im done screwing with it. i need to get back on doing the body work on the fenders, hood, bumpers, doors, bed, running boards,  and grill. ive been lazy lately. so much sanding to do! im starting to give up

Mr.B

• "But officer, it was a Subaru!"
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2018, 10:33:01 PM »

The weather makes me lazy too. After this weekend, it should be dry and warmer. Don't give up.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

You're a super genius....
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

bigsquat

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2018, 12:52:15 PM »

i have to admit watching movies from my recliner never gets old. the wife isnt as happy about it as me tho

mikeymar11

• Supporting Member
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2018, 01:41:57 PM »

I had luck with the RuffStuff Y link with GM 1 ton ends and "The Cure."  The Cure is a flat disk that eliminates the dead spot and they recommend using it on the drag link.  By recommendation from Greg at Rock and Road Performance (next-door to RuffStuff) I placed The Cure on the passenger TRE.  That with my toe set as close as possible to correct gave me good success on my YJ with 35's.  I say as close as possible because we tested a bend in the tie rod which he uses on TJ's as it gives access to the front diff.  That isn't necessary on the YJ.  Greg from Rock and Road also TIG'd the bungs onto the tie rod and drag link for me - perfectly I might add.  It's clean and damn stout!  You can go over or under the knuckle.  The biggest pain was reaming the knuckle to fit the 1 ton TRE's.

~Mike     

bigsquat

« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2018, 08:35:28 PM »

ty for the info , any pics?

mikeymar11

• Supporting Member
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2018, 11:08:23 PM »

Iíll take some tomorrow. On another note, I have a full Rocky Road high steer set up that needs a new home. It was going to be used if I went spring over which I never did.  I donít know why I didnít think of that earlier.  Check it out at Rocky-Road.com. Itís just getting dusty.  I have researched and the only bit of bad feedback is that a few have reported the steering knuckles have broken, but in those cases there may have been some uneven surface contact where the knuckle mount sits.  Two things: grind it flat and weld it on and it is reported to be bomber! 

~Mike

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2018, 07:34:03 AM »

Ben also uses "the cure".

I'd look at that over the knuckle kit Mike's got, but it's not my money.  :high5:

bigsquat

« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2018, 02:47:05 PM »

that rocky road looks interesting. i wonder if it would work on mine being that my box is so low

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2018, 07:20:12 PM »

Ben also uses "the cure".

Yeah, but I use it on the drag link. I think the reason that they don't recommend using it on the tie rod is that its made out of plastic. Hardened plastic, but still plastic. I'm sure that the tie rod ends have more stress on them than the drag link does.

It did significantly reduce my dead spot.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

mikeymar11

• Supporting Member
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2018, 10:26:02 AM »

Yeah, but I use it on the drag link. I think the reason that they don't recommend using it on the tie rod is that its made out of plastic. Hardened plastic, but still plastic. I'm sure that the tie rod ends have more stress on them than the drag link does.

It did significantly reduce my dead spot.

Here are some pics of my set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikeymar11

• Supporting Member
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2018, 10:27:43 AM »

Also, like I said, the high steer kit is gathering dust. Iím sure we can make a great deal.

~Mike

RockWoRM

• LJ's do it longer
  • Supporting Member
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2018, 06:35:29 PM »

I thought about removing it and that will be my next step since its easy.

Those are really old tires, I got them on a jeep I had before my red one. It wouldn't smog so I sold it to a guy from Nevada, I kept the tires.

?? I thought you sold the YJ?? Oh well, where have I been? In LJ la la land! lol.

Anyway, I never ran a stabilizer... didn't seem to matter. Also tried "the cure"... didn't help much. However... many, many moons ago, I had a TLC with a not so much different front end than a YJ... except not SOA. BUT, once upon a time I had really bad worn out 33's on it and it had bump and wondering like I've never had before. New meats and it all went away. Not saying that is the sole answer/solution, but it is part of the equation.
And if the TR is stock... I look into the high steer.
'05 LJR, 4.0, HT, AC, 6sp, 5.13 D44's, Alloy shafts, RC long arm w/6" MC dual rate coils, All MC armor, Warn 9.5, OEM front bumper, Rockhard rear swing out, ProComp bolt in int. cage. CB

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2018, 09:44:20 PM »

?? I thought you sold the YJ?? Oh well, where have I been? In LJ la la land! lol.

Anyway, I never ran a stabilizer... didn't seem to matter. Also tried "the cure"... didn't help much. However... many, many moons ago, I had a TLC with a not so much different front end than a YJ... except not SOA. BUT, once upon a time I had really bad worn out 33's on it and it had bump and wondering like I've never had before. New meats and it all went away. Not saying that is the sole answer/solution, but it is part of the equation.
And if the TR is stock... I look into the high steer.

For those uninformed elitists among us, this is what Bob is working on. :flipoff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9WnBOcOI_4&feature=youtu.be

RockWoRM

• LJ's do it longer
  • Supporting Member
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2018, 10:20:56 PM »

Ah... Ford... that explains it...  :rofl:

j/k...  :cheers2:
'05 LJR, 4.0, HT, AC, 6sp, 5.13 D44's, Alloy shafts, RC long arm w/6" MC dual rate coils, All MC armor, Warn 9.5, OEM front bumper, Rockhard rear swing out, ProComp bolt in int. cage. CB

bigsquat

« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2018, 10:37:44 AM »

Also, like I said, the high steer kit is gathering dust. Iím sure we can make a great deal.

~Mike

i think my box being so low the high steer wouldnt work. the drag link would be going down to the pitman arm, maybe, not sure

bigsquat

« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2018, 10:44:11 AM »

Ah... Ford... that explains it...  :rofl:

j/k...  :cheers2:

i know right, maybe when its done i can trade it for a rubicon.

i didnt know what a flat spot meant or what the cure was. i looked at a video and i see its tie rod roll the cure prevents. i didnt even know they did roll.   if the high steer would fit ,it sure would get my tie rod out of the way of rocks, that thing sure is low. the deal is that i didnt really plan on hard core wheeling but you know how that can go .

bigsquat

« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2018, 10:45:36 AM »

i appreciated all the help, ive got a lot to learn, ive been out of the loop for a while and u guy have progressed a lot over the years.

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2018, 01:19:05 PM »

i know right, maybe when its done i can trade it for a rubicon.

i didnt know what a flat spot meant or what the cure was. i looked at a video and i see its tie rod roll the cure prevents. i didnt even know they did roll.   if the high steer would fit ,it sure would get my tie rod out of the way of rocks, that thing sure is low. the deal is that i didnt really plan on hard core wheeling but you know how that can go .

By the way, I fixed this post for you. You had posted inside Randy's quote.

"The Cure" is a Ruffstuff part. Here is the link. This one is for OEM steering. They also sell a 1 ton version.

https://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/R2008.html

Pages: 1 [2] 3