Norcal Jeepers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Tapatalk is still having problems starting new threads, but you can still reply to old threads

Welcome to Norcal Jeepers!
Welcome to Norcal Jeepers! It looks like you're not registered yet. As a guest you are missing out on a bunch of great content that is only viewable once you register. To register, simply follow the link below and fill out some information about yourself. It only takes a few minutes!

Click here to register now!

Author Topic: Converting Hella 500s to HID  (Read 1681 times)

CMARJEEP

• Connor #1
Converting Hella 500s to HID
« on: August 16, 2011, 11:10:25 PM »

So I haven't put my Hellas back on to my new bumper yet. I was reading how to make them brighter because they really aren't bright at all. Some people said to just throw 100w bulbs in them but I don't want to rewire the whole thing and 100w bulbs would be pushing it on the stock wires. So I was reading that some people have converted them to HIDs using this kit:

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/Apexcone-Raptor-HID-Kit

I've heard good things about this company and the 55w kit will run me $45. My next best option would be to buy the Kragen HID lights that a lot of people use and those run around $150 PER LIGHT. If I retrofit the Hellas I'll only be out about $100 total.

So I'm going to order up that kit and do a little review when I'm done on the brightness of them since I know a lot of people use the same lights.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 01:38:38 PM by CMARJEEP »
2001 WJ mallcrawler / 2.5" OME lift / ARB front bumper with Warn M8000 / KOR Sliders / 31" Treadwright MTRs

connor0770

Re: Converting Hella 500s to HID
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 12:50:01 AM »

I have Hellas...... Well now I have a Hella. Let me know how it works.
-97 TJ, 35's, Currie 4" lift, Dana 30 w/ ARB, 8.8, Trail Gear Front Bumper With w/ XRC8, LOD Tire Carrier, UCF Tummy Tuck, Smittybuilt Corners, Poison Spider Sliders

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 11:58:29 AM »

I like the Kragen ones actually, but they're a tad pricey.  I don't know stuff like that is hard for me to justify the cost of, when I got so many other things I wanna do.  If I were to do it, I'd likely modify the existing lights.

Plus then you can tell people how you did this upgrade and sound like an electrical genius  :biggrin:

connor0770

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 12:37:05 PM »

Im having a hard time wiring freaking rock lights.. I cant even imagine upgrading Hellas.. unless you just change the bulb?
-97 TJ, 35's, Currie 4" lift, Dana 30 w/ ARB, 8.8, Trail Gear Front Bumper With w/ XRC8, LOD Tire Carrier, UCF Tummy Tuck, Smittybuilt Corners, Poison Spider Sliders

Schonertod

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 01:21:01 PM »

this link is dead so i cant see the kit your looking at but wiring up lights is not hard at all. We put an HID kit on my buddys JK and man did it make a difference.
Beauty in death comes but once in a life time...

CMARJEEP

• Connor #1
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 01:37:44 PM »

You're pretty much just changing the bulb. The only other thing you have to do is to drill out the housing right behind where the bulb sits so the wires can come through.

Edit: Fixed the link.
2001 WJ mallcrawler / 2.5" OME lift / ARB front bumper with Warn M8000 / KOR Sliders / 31" Treadwright MTRs

Schonertod

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 05:00:19 PM »

Ya that wouldn't be hard at all to do. Pretty easy just take your time and make sure you measure it all out before you starting drilling anything
Beauty in death comes but once in a life time...