Norcal Jeepers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Well that was a fun 40 hours. Thank you Godaddy. We're back up and running, but in the next 30 days there will some scheduled down time.

Welcome to Norcal Jeepers!
Welcome to Norcal Jeepers! It looks like you're not registered yet. As a guest you are missing out on a bunch of great content that is only viewable once you register. To register, simply follow the link below and fill out some information about yourself. It only takes a few minutes!

Click here to register now!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: Moab 2019  (Read 5824 times)

timatoe

• Administrator
Moab 2019
« on: November 08, 2018, 11:34:04 AM »

Anyone want to go?

I know there are at least three of us that will go.  We need to get a pseudo firm head count and get some dates nailed down.  Easter Jeep Safari is April 13 to 21, so that week would be a no go.

Last year the online reservation system said the group site at Ken's Lake was "No RV's" however talking to the camp host, he said if it fits it's fine.  I would prefer to camp at Ken's Lake, just because it's easy and it has the big reservable group site. That being said, individual sites worked just fine last year but there's the risk that we don't get everyone a site that way.  Also keeping in mind the group site isn't eligible for the 50% rate with the disabled veteran or geezer cards so if we don't have a large group the individual cost can get spendy in that site.  I personally would rather have a reservation and spend more to know we have a site but don't want to spend a great deal.

Anyhow, maybe last week of April or first week of May?  Like 4/25 to 5/5 or 5/1 to 5/11, something like that.  The boss lady said 15 days was too long last year so I need to keep it to 14 or less.  :high5:

Enough rambling, who's in?

Screaming Bear

• Supporting Member
  • "the Bear Whisperer"
Re: Moab 2019
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 02:00:47 PM »

I'm in. 15th trip for me. Fuel will be expensive this year so I will be sharing expenses with a co-driver.  :cheers:
51 CJ3-A, 4.3 TBI Chevy, SM420, Dana 18TC, 30/44 Full Floaters, Yukon Front Axle and Hubs, rear drive flanges, Detroit Fr / E-Locker Rr, 4.27:1 Gears, 74:1, HD steering / 4 wheel disk brakes, Viair 550C, 100% LED - VisionX headlights, Rigid Light-bar, DOT Fogs, Grote tail, Soft Top and Heater, 35"KM-2's, 3" up, no articulation - it works

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 04:48:30 PM »

Any preference on dates?  Pretty sure Sean is in since he was watching Moab videos the other day and said he was itching to get back.  He bought a cabover as well so we should be all set.  Gotta build me a patio off the back of mine so it's not so tall.

Screaming Bear

• Supporting Member
  • "the Bear Whisperer"
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2018, 07:26:10 AM »

No preference on the dates. April 29 thru May 9 is the available window for Ken's Lake Group site B. Actually, May 9 is six months out so that allows us another two weeks on a reservation.
I'm thinking we might have to wing it again unless a bunch of us commit to the trip pronto. We lucked out last year with the standard sites but campgrounds fill up early. I will drive to the San Rafael Swell again, then it's only another two hours to Moab for a morning check-in.
51 CJ3-A, 4.3 TBI Chevy, SM420, Dana 18TC, 30/44 Full Floaters, Yukon Front Axle and Hubs, rear drive flanges, Detroit Fr / E-Locker Rr, 4.27:1 Gears, 74:1, HD steering / 4 wheel disk brakes, Viair 550C, 100% LED - VisionX headlights, Rigid Light-bar, DOT Fogs, Grote tail, Soft Top and Heater, 35"KM-2's, 3" up, no articulation - it works

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2018, 04:21:39 PM »

I'm totally fine with the single sites, I'd like to be a bit closer to a shitter though.  I don't know how many will commit but just four of us would be kinda pricey at the group site.

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2018, 12:45:35 PM »

Can't believe we've got no other interest on this yet.

I'm leaning toward 5-1 to 5-11 only because we shouldn't have any lingering EJS people and there are no other events scheduled that week at this point.

Screaming Bear

• Supporting Member
  • "the Bear Whisperer"
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2018, 08:45:58 AM »

Yeah that works. I ran an invite past Two Beers as he has not been to Moab yet. Not sure if he would be a co-driver or bring his own vehicle if he goes. Haven't discussed this with New Jim or JJ yet. Once we confirm the dates I could ask if any of my club members are interested. Jan said no.
NYCJeep, Matt and RockWorm?

edit: the group site has random bookings, so the pressure is off.
https://www.recreation.gov/camping/campgrounds/251840/availability
BLM sites went up to $20 noting one vehicle and trailer per site. Geezers and Vets 1/2 price
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 09:08:51 PM by Screaming Bear »

Mase58

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2018, 01:37:36 PM »

I'm in for sure. I may have another friend that may come. Told Tim about him. not sure if he will bring his jeep or razors. What he brings depends on if he brings the toy hauler. I'll find out soon. We also need to talk with Robert early if he has any chance of being allowed off the leash.

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2018, 10:00:12 PM »

Holy crap!!! We definitely need to do individual sites, the group sites are $125 - $150 per night.  $20 a night isn't bad but it's going to be tough to get five or six sites I'm thinking.

Screaming Bear

• Supporting Member
  • "the Bear Whisperer"
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2018, 08:22:36 AM »

Holy crap!!! We definitely need to do individual sites, the group sites are $125 - $150 per night.  $20 a night isn't bad but it's going to be tough to get five or six sites I'm thinking.
We would need more than ten people for the group site to be any bargain. It is essentially booked up anyway.
Timing is everything for individual BLM sites. Early Sunday check-in might be a good bet. I think Bill grabbed our sites early Wed or Thursday last year. Can you make an early check-in happen? I will.

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2018, 12:01:13 PM »

I may be able to take the Wednesday off and be there by Thursday afternoon.  I think it would be pushing it to try to get the Tuesday off too.

I saw the group site was booked through the middle of when we'll be there.  Wonder how enforced it will be with one vehicle and one trailer rule?  Probably depends on the camp host.

Screaming Bear

• Supporting Member
  • "the Bear Whisperer"
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2018, 08:00:28 AM »

I don't think the host cares. Last year Jason was on my site and no complaints. Maybe cause we were out all day, BLM never knew.

RockWoRM

• LJ's do it longer
  • Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2018, 01:18:53 PM »

I've been down with flu bug last couple weeks... but I'll go if I can. Promised wifey we'd go to New Orleans some time in spring/summer for her. It's her bucket list. If her time/plans/dates do not intersect with Moab, then I'll likely go. So we'll have to play it by ear for me.  The end of April date 'might' make it more doable... but don't plan around me... juz say'n.  :cheers2:
'05 LJR, 4.0, HT, AC, 6sp, 5.13 D44's, Alloy shafts, RC long arm w/6" MC dual rate coils, All MC armor, Warn 9.5, OEM front bumper, Rockhard rear swing out, ProComp bolt in int. cage. CB

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2019, 09:37:33 PM »

Time is running out, we're under 5 months.   :cheers:

Anyone else interested?  I'm thinking Matt might make a few days again this year, he's been trying to get his junk all back together too.

I will drive to the San Rafael Swell again, then it's only another two hours to Moab for a morning check-in.

How long does it take you to get there from your house?  10 hours?

I took off from Wednesday the 1st through Sunday the 12th, I think Sean took the same days off.  If so, he will have to work until 3 am Tuesday but he mentioned leaving from work.  I don't know that we can make a full trip after he works a 12 hour day.  I'm thinking a 14 hour drive would be pretty dangerous after that.

If we can make it to Sacramento Pass or even just to Ely and sleep for a few hours we can get there late Wednesday.  Although I think we would be better off leaving Wednesday morning and maybe pushing through to San Rafael Swell, sleeping the night and then head on in to Moab early Thursday morning.

Screaming Bear

• Supporting Member
  • "the Bear Whisperer"
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2019, 10:01:19 PM »

It takes me 13hrs driving time to Moab but the time zone adds an hour heading east. Sacramento Pass is halfway for me. San Rafael is a push. I need to work on Two Beers (Mark). If he can't go maybe Jim can.
Daisy passed away Christmas Eve and we are really feeling terrible. I need to find a puppy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 10:01:42 AM by Screaming Bear »

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2019, 10:51:02 PM »

Oh, that's horrible, sorry to hear that.

Best spotter in Moab Jim?  Or, New Jim?  Everyone needs to go to Moab at some point.  :high5:

I'm trying to talk Robert in to going as well, he'd just ride with me if he goes rather than trying to get his rig there too.

Screaming Bear

• Supporting Member
  • "the Bear Whisperer"
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2019, 09:21:30 AM »

I don't think Mark wants to drive my rough-riding Jeep but his rig is very tipsy. I met BSIM Jim for lunch last week but didn't even talk about Moab. New Jim and I need to fix his death wobble which started after Deer Valley. Edit: New Jim just stopped by and said he will likely go, either way. 
It's 11 hrs driving time for me to the San Rafael exit. It was getting dark when I passed by it last year. Bill had a site for me, so I drove straight thru to Ken's Lake.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 11:49:05 AM by Screaming Bear »

norcal_chris

• always down to wheel
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2019, 09:31:50 AM »

I still want to make this trip somehow. 
I need to look at my work responsibilities again to see if it would fit in.  If I can get it hammered out I bet I can recruit a few more people
Ruined a perfectly good jeep.

Screaming Bear

• Supporting Member
  • "the Bear Whisperer"
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2019, 10:14:02 AM »

Wow, lots'a vehicles capable of Pritchett Canyon. Not sure I want to do it again, but I will hike it and film.  ;D  :thumbsup:
10+ we could still grab the group site for six of our days.

Skorch

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2019, 04:15:42 PM »

Too bad BFE won't be open yet.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8