Norcal Jeepers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

There's an ongoing problem when trying to start a thread using Tapatalk. But you still can reply to an open thread.

Welcome to Norcal Jeepers!
Welcome to Norcal Jeepers! It looks like you're not registered yet. As a guest you are missing out on a bunch of great content that is only viewable once you register. To register, simply follow the link below and fill out some information about yourself. It only takes a few minutes!

Click here to register now!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 2019 Moab trip report  (Read 937 times)

Screaming Bear

• Supporting Member
  • "the Bear Whisperer"
2019 Moab trip report
« on: May 14, 2019, 01:56:45 PM »

Guess I'll start this thread. Will might have some good pics and video. I have some on my GoPro but nothing exciting. Think I need to get it to YouTube in order to link it here.
As far as the trip; we had great weather and all were able to camp together at Ken's Lake. The trails I did were Steel Bender (Flat Pass),7 Mile Rim, Kane Creek, Metal Masher, 2nd half of Fin's n Things, Hell's Revenge and Poison Spider complete. We hiked to Delicate Arch and walked over to Double Arch. We drove up Shaffer Switchbacks and out to Grand View in Canyonlands then down Long Canyon. Randy and Will did a few trails extra.
There was some carnage but we still managed to have a lot of fun. I needed to run Hell's Revenge and Poison Spider in 2wd. It required full commitment, perfect line choice and throttle control but no bypasses were taken. Yes, crazy-man behind the wheel  :shaking:. I opted out of Golden Spike / Gold Bar as 2wd could prove to be a big mistake if I broke something else. The front D30 R&P is broken. I think that happened on a large under-cut ledge on Metal Masher. We turned around at this ledge because of Sean's misfortune. I didn't hear anything until the next day.
51 CJ3-A, 4.3 TBI Chevy, SM420, Dana 18TC, 30/44 Full Floaters, Yukon Front Axle and Hubs, rear drive flanges, Detroit Fr / E-Locker Rr, 4.27:1 Gears, 74:1, HD steering / 4 wheel disk brakes, Viair 550C, 100% LED - VisionX headlights, Rigid Light-bar, DOT Fogs, Grote tail, Soft Top and Heater, 35"KM-2's, 3" up, no articulation - it works

Mase58

Re: 2019 Moab trip report
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 03:17:56 PM »

Like Doug said it was a great trip. Yes, I had several issues this year. It started with electric fan issues on 7 Mile Rim. That ended up being a simple fix with some wire crimping. During the duration of the trip I blew 2 front u-joints and u-joint straps. The rear of my T-case hit a ledge on Metal Masher and cracked the T-case adapter. That created a large pool of gear oil and a quick exit off the trail so I didn't burn anything up (by quick I mean side by sides were going slower than Tim and I). Spent almost 2 days with the T-case out and getting it bandaid fixed so I could still wheel. Once that was done we ran Hells Revenge. Sitting up by the "Hot Tubs" and found that my rear leaf broke. Limped it down Dragon's Tail and Matt came up with the fantastic idea of using my rubber wheel chalk as a bump stop. Gorilla Tape and a ratchet strap were used to hold it in place and it got me off the trail and back to camp. So needless to say I guess it was my year to break.

I did run Triple Threat as Tim's co-pilot. That was fun and got to watch Robert carry a front tire about 2 feet high (he wont admit it but I think he may still be pulling the seat spring out of his rear)

Overall, I was not in California and was just as happy to sit at camp and watch the air float by as I was to be wheeling.

Mr.B

• "But officer, it was a Subaru!"
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 04:14:44 PM »

Sorry to hear about all the breakage guys, but sounds like you guys still had a great time. Now just waiting for the pics and vids. :2thumbsup:
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

You're a super genius....
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

RockWoRM

• LJ's do it longer
  • Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 05:44:34 PM »

Got a text from Will yesterday. He is in the process of editing/putting together all his pics and video. He's got some video of me going up Devils crack and Z turn on Moab Rim... clinking, clanking, and clunking all the way. Me thinks the cheapo RC joints are loose or need rebuilding? Also thought I was going to roll/flop in a couple spots. Not where Tim got tippy. But enough to make me think twice about doing it again. Way too much body roll... maybe new joints will help and definitely thinking about an anti rock. Anyway, we were not alone in the issues department. Aside from starting off having to buy a new Optima, I got pickle sliced doing the Pickle. Bad line of my choice got me a gouge/scrape on the rear corner of the HT.  :shaking: Then we did Mashed potato's and that was fun. Gravy boat was full of water, so nix.
After the day doing triple threat, aired up and back on the road I got a hecka death wobble! All the bolts on the upper frame trac bar mount were loose. Got new grade 8's at the hardware store and re-torqued. Nothing broken, so All good.
Just Doug and I did Kanes creek while Sean was down. Fun day. At least this time I didn't have to pull line or break something.  :flipoff:
'05 LJR, 4.0, HT, AC, 6sp, 5.13 D44's, Alloy shafts, RC long arm w/6" MC dual rate coils, All MC armor, Warn 9.5, OEM front bumper, Rockhard rear swing out, ProComp bolt in int. cage. CB

Screaming Bear

• Supporting Member
  • "the Bear Whisperer"
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2019, 11:50:28 AM »

7Mile Rim: Day one ledge series.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPydgoXuUY8

I need to get a GoPro mount that swivels and stays level. All the off-camber video passing Monitor Butte looks like a level road! The skyline gets wonky but that's not the same feeling.

Randy can post a link I gave him to his ledge practice if he wants. Even a simple ledge requires the right fineness. Many times, wheelbase makes the difference.
51 CJ3-A, 4.3 TBI Chevy, SM420, Dana 18TC, 30/44 Full Floaters, Yukon Front Axle and Hubs, rear drive flanges, Detroit Fr / E-Locker Rr, 4.27:1 Gears, 74:1, HD steering / 4 wheel disk brakes, Viair 550C, 100% LED - VisionX headlights, Rigid Light-bar, DOT Fogs, Grote tail, Soft Top and Heater, 35"KM-2's, 3" up, no articulation - it works

dukcaln

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2019, 09:44:31 PM »

nice video and great trip......... jealous for sure!!!

Mase58

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2019, 12:57:57 AM »

nice video and great trip......... jealous for sure!!!

Set the time aside for next year. Same time

Mase58

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2019, 01:02:44 AM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Varnish

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2019, 10:20:57 AM »

Varnish

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2019, 10:36:04 AM »

Should have just used my phone the whole time, the camera I was using is taking some post-processing.  Also trying to figure out best way to post em.

Lunchtime on Golden Spike.

Top of the World (not our group's jeeps)

RockWoRM

• LJ's do it longer
  • Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2019, 11:09:21 AM »

Randy can post a link I gave him to his ledge practice if he wants.

Go ahead and post it if ya want. I kept trying left, but the line was right... soon as I turn pass. it got bite. Plus I'm a weeee bit heaver than you Doug. Throttle control very touchy in my junk... as Will found out. lol.
Lol... watched it again... don't remember hitting it that many time...  :rofl:  Oh well. No bypass... had to keep at it.  :biggrin:
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 08:21:34 AM by RockWoRM »
'05 LJR, 4.0, HT, AC, 6sp, 5.13 D44's, Alloy shafts, RC long arm w/6" MC dual rate coils, All MC armor, Warn 9.5, OEM front bumper, Rockhard rear swing out, ProComp bolt in int. cage. CB

Screaming Bear

• Supporting Member
  • "the Bear Whisperer"
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2019, 11:16:14 AM »

Go ahead and post it if ya want. I kept trying left, but the line was right... soon as I turn pass. it got bite. Plus I'm a weeee bit heaver than you Doug. Throttle control very touchy in my junk... as Will found out. lol.
Okay. Others can observe and learn from it what works as far as a little momentum on the "bump".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaF8BMaDVl8

Varnish

2019 Moab trip report
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2019, 12:58:21 PM »

Toyota that rolled 3 times landing on wheels on way back down moab Rim moments before we came around the corner to begin the descent.  Took out radiator but made it to bottom and drove itself onto trailer.  That rear hoop stood up well!

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2019, 04:48:34 PM »

Nice vids and pics. Keep 'em coming.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

Screaming Bear

• Supporting Member
  • "the Bear Whisperer"
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2019, 01:56:19 PM »

Can't imagine how such a massive gear could break. Dinky toy, Barbie Jeep!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

RockWoRM

• LJ's do it longer
  • Supporting Member
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2019, 03:36:59 PM »

Can't imagine how such a massive gear could break.

Too much throttle!!!   :flipoff:

:biggrin:

Skorch

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2019, 07:36:14 PM »

You kids finally conquer the Escalator?

Screaming Bear

• Supporting Member
  • "the Bear Whisperer"
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2019, 07:52:54 PM »

You kids finally conquer the Escalator?
Sean may have tried it if he wasn't already broken. No one else inluding me was interested. I barely got out of a hottub in 2wd but it was fun. Larry and Will did it and Hell's Gate last year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Varnish

2019 Moab trip report
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2019, 09:02:49 AM »

« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 10:44:55 AM by Varnish »

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2019, 05:02:17 PM »

I gotta say, that it looks like the YJ has more droop than the LJ. :biggrin:

Pages: [1] 2