Norcal Jeepers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Well that was a fun 40 hours. Thank you Godaddy. We're back up and running, but in the next 30 days there will some scheduled down time.

Welcome to Norcal Jeepers!
Welcome to Norcal Jeepers! It looks like you're not registered yet. As a guest you are missing out on a bunch of great content that is only viewable once you register. To register, simply follow the link below and fill out some information about yourself. It only takes a few minutes!

Click here to register now!

Author Topic: Detroit rear locker, time for front locker, thoughts?  (Read 788 times)

dukcaln

• Supporting Member
Detroit rear locker, time for front locker, thoughts?
« on: May 28, 2019, 10:53:32 PM »

Not going ARB, thoughts on a front locker for someone who does not hit the trail all the time.... Select able or?

Secondly

Suggestions on a shop or someone for the install?

Steve707

Re: Detroit rear locker, time for front locker, thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2019, 11:00:24 PM »

If you want a truetrac i plan to pull mine soon.

andyinCopper

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2019, 04:13:32 PM »

I like my Eaton E-locker. But I probably should have just dont a lunchbox locker and saved myself a ton of money.
1990 wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI, 3sp Auto, D30 E-locker front, 8.8 with trac-lok rear. np231. about 4" of lift. 33" BFG KM2s, SYE, Tom Woods Drive Shaft. □|||||||□

dukcaln

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2019, 09:19:33 PM »

What do you think of the lunchbox locker?   How would the jeep do with the rear Detroit and a lunch box in the snow?

dukcaln

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2019, 09:20:33 PM »

Difficulty installing? and/or do you know someone local to install? I am in Vacaville 

Steve707

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2019, 10:40:32 PM »

Im gonna take a shot installing my locker this weekend. I think i have all the tools now just need to take my time doing it. Ill let you know how long it takes, it would just need an install kit with new bearings and ring gear bolts and shims. Im in suisun. The best deal ive found on gear installs is at 4x4 specialty in concord. It was 200-300 for the install on a bear axle.

Mr.B

• "But officer, it was a Subaru!"
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2019, 06:37:44 AM »

Do you still have the CAD on the Axle Jason? A lunchbox would be just fine on the road if you do.

When I installed my Aussie like 13 years ago, I had never even opened a diff before. It really wasn't very hard. You don't have mess with the gears at all.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

You're a super genius....
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

Screaming Bear

• Supporting Member
  • "the Bear Whisperer"
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2019, 07:16:58 AM »

Shoot, I just ordered a TruTrac. My son really can't spring for an ARB or E-Locker and he probably will do fine with LS. If I blow another R&P on my D30 I'll get one too.
Here is a great description of how they all work:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x40WGUtdaLI&t=1593s
OOPS, go back to the beginning.

Edit: The locking mechanism on an e-locker will release between forward and reverse as it ramps down and back up but there is no slop like a Detroit Locker inherently has. Mark said Grizzly is tighter.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 08:19:49 PM by Screaming Bear »
51 CJ3-A, 4.3 TBI Chevy, SM420, Dana 18TC, 30/44 Full Floaters, Yukon Front Axle and Hubs, rear drive flanges, Detroit Fr / E-Locker Rr, 4.27:1 Gears, 74:1, HD steering / 4 wheel disk brakes, Viair 550C, 100% LED - VisionX headlights, Rigid Light-bar, DOT Fogs, Grote tail, Soft Top and Heater, 35"KM-2's, 3" up, no articulation - it works

dukcaln

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2019, 10:54:53 PM »

Just thinking I should go with a select able locker in the front so I can choose when its locked..... figure it will be better with snow wheeling and or trails and rocks...  Just not sure.....

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2019, 09:37:47 AM »

If you can afford a selectable that's the route I'd go.  With that said, I I have no experience with the TruTrac other than driving my Brother In Laws TJ with them front and rear and it handled well.

I never had any issue with or without the CAD with the lunchbox, the Aussie worked well on the D30 and the Spartan did fine on the D44 until it finally gave up the ghost.

tearin_updirt

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2019, 01:55:39 PM »

I have an Aussie lunchbox in my front Dana 30 and it does great with my 35s. I have never had any problems or complaints, I personally don't get bothered by the noise when I drive it in 4wd for EVERYTHING creaks and groans in my jeep. I would definitely purchase that locker again.

I also have an OX air locker in the back which has been great with chromoly shafts in my 8.8. My only complaint is the cover is so beefy its a PITA to line up with the locking collar on the actual locker ring that engages the locker when your laying under your jeep. OX sent me a defective locker at first, however they rebuilt it for me for free I didn't even have to pay shipping and their tech/customer service guys/gals were johnny on the spot. Another pro for ox is first time at the con I melted an air hose on the drive up but was able to install their drive away lock, making the locker always engaged which was clutch. I would buy again if their covers have been updated with drain and fill plugs so I don't have to remove the cover to change axle fluid.

Hopefully this helps  :cheers:
98 TJ aka Little Mudder
4.88 and Locked

Jam86

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2019, 04:53:11 PM »

I would buy again if their covers have been updated with drain and fill plugs so I don't have to remove the cover to change axle fluid.

I purchased an ox locker for my rear D44 about 5 years ago. It has a drain plug on bottom, a small allen head bolt, and then a fill plug as well. Might be worth taking a look next time you change fluid.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I got a 6 foot bed that never has to be made!

DRLExpress

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2019, 09:07:17 AM »

Just wondering why you are pulling it out? Don't like it? I have been thinking of trying them.

Doug

dukcaln

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2019, 09:51:15 PM »

Did you ever pull it?

Steve707

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2019, 03:22:57 PM »

Yeah its out.
Just wondering why you are pulling it out? Don't like it? I have been thinking of trying them.

Doug
I put a locker in the rear and wanted the front to have the same set up.

dukcaln

• Supporting Member
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2019, 07:18:16 PM »

Yeah its out.I put a locker in the rear and wanted the front to have the same set up.

What are you thinking for the cost?   Front correct?

Steve707

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2019, 07:45:25 AM »

Yeah hp dana 30, if you're gonna use it you can have it.