Norcal Jeepers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Tapatalk is still having problems starting new threads, but you can still reply to old threads

Welcome to Norcal Jeepers!
Welcome to Norcal Jeepers! It looks like you're not registered yet. As a guest you are missing out on a bunch of great content that is only viewable once you register. To register, simply follow the link below and fill out some information about yourself. It only takes a few minutes!

Click here to register now!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: MOAB 2020!  (Read 4818 times)

timatoe

• Administrator
Re: MOAB 2020!
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2019, 02:11:44 PM »

The plan would be to leave early Wednesday and drive most of the way, stopping a couple hours shy of Moab.  That gets us there early Thursday morning with better ability to snatch spots and not trying to do it Wednesday night in the dark.  I wouldn't be opposed to leaving Tuesday though.  Early doesn't need to be 0400 but before 0900 like we left last year.  If you come up with us, there's no need to meet us here, we could meet at the Walmart in Fallon (we'll need fuel by then) or anywhere really.

Varnish

« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2019, 12:38:59 PM »

...you know like Widow Maker and the death launch on Moab Rim.

Trying to make mine Pritchett-capable.  It had gotten a bit much for my TJ on 35s but hopefully an LJ on 37s is enough.  Will need to see how Jeep is doing and how driving a stick is going for me though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RockWoRM

• LJ's do it longer
  • Supporting Member
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2019, 08:56:11 AM »

Trying to make mine Pritchett-capable.  It had gotten a bit much for my TJ on 35s but hopefully an LJ on 37s is enough.  Will need to see how Jeep is doing and how driving a stick is going for me though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, we already know that is going to needs lots of practice!!!   :rofl:
'05 LJR, 4.0, HT, AC, 6sp, 5.13 D44's, Alloy shafts, RC long arm w/6" MC dual rate coils, All MC armor, Warn 9.5, OEM front bumper, Rockhard rear swing out, ProComp bolt in int. cage. CB

RockWoRM

• LJ's do it longer
  • Supporting Member
« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2019, 09:12:13 AM »

So is the plan to leave on Wednesday and get there on Thursday?  I’m just trying to figure out what I can work out. Weather to go up with you guys and leave early or show up late and come home with you.
I'm traveling solo from the south... so driving alone not that big a deal. I'd rather have a buddy riding along or course, but it is what it is. Dave will be meeting me there and Will will be meeting there by the weekend. If it suits your work better to only take off that 3rd week, then meeting us there works fine. Like we said... we can save you a spot or you can have mine since I will be moving over to the rental w/Dave and Will on the weekend.

I wouldn't be opposed to leaving Tuesday though.
I'm ok with that too. Figured if I'm gonna set up a tent, may as well have it for a couple days.  :biggrin:
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 10:06:39 AM by RockWoRM »
'05 LJR, 4.0, HT, AC, 6sp, 5.13 D44's, Alloy shafts, RC long arm w/6" MC dual rate coils, All MC armor, Warn 9.5, OEM front bumper, Rockhard rear swing out, ProComp bolt in int. cage. CB

Mase58

• Supporting Member
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2019, 09:08:30 AM »

I like that spot we stayed last year overnight on the drive down. I agree with Tim, being closer in the AM is way better. Side question, I know the side by sides can get an OHV reg. for the road, can buggies get the same providing they have al the required lighting.

The Bear Whisperer

• Supporting Member
  • aka - Screaming "Bear"
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2019, 10:23:18 AM »

I like that spot we stayed last year overnight on the drive down. I agree with Tim, being closer in the AM is way better. Side question, I know the side by sides can get an OHV reg. for the road, can buggies get the same providing they have al the required lighting.
I didn't read all this, but it may answer your questions.
https://www.discovermoab.com/atv-riding/
51 CJ3-A, 4.3 TBI Chevy, SM420, Dana 18TC, 30/44 Full Floaters, Yukon Front Axle and Hubs, rear drive flanges, Detroit Fr / E-Locker Rr, 4.27:1 Gears, 74:1, HD steering / 4 wheel disk brakes, Viair 550C, 100% LED - VisionX headlights, Rigid Light-bar, DOT Fogs, Grote tail, Soft Top and Heater, 35"KM-2's, 3" up, no articulation - it works

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2019, 11:42:55 AM »

I don't know either.  There used to be signs up around some of the trail, like Hells Revenge, saying specifically that vehicles on the roadway had to be registered for road use.  The link Doug gave has good info, it would look like as long as it has all the requirements including insurance for street use it would be good.

The Bear Whisperer

• Supporting Member
  • aka - Screaming "Bear"
« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2019, 12:44:45 PM »

I would imagine you would need to get a non-resident sticker or permit.
51 CJ3-A, 4.3 TBI Chevy, SM420, Dana 18TC, 30/44 Full Floaters, Yukon Front Axle and Hubs, rear drive flanges, Detroit Fr / E-Locker Rr, 4.27:1 Gears, 74:1, HD steering / 4 wheel disk brakes, Viair 550C, 100% LED - VisionX headlights, Rigid Light-bar, DOT Fogs, Grote tail, Soft Top and Heater, 35"KM-2's, 3" up, no articulation - it works

RockWoRM

• LJ's do it longer
  • Supporting Member
« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2019, 08:53:55 AM »

Side question, I know the side by sides can get an OHV reg. for the road, can buggies get the same providing they have al the required lighting.
Are you asking for the CJ or something else?

Anywho… started a thread in the JF YJ forum in case some of those guys we missed last year can make it.

RockWoRM

• LJ's do it longer
  • Supporting Member
« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2019, 08:00:30 PM »

I know it a long ways off as far as chatting about trails, but I was playing around on google earth and found a trail off 313 called Hell Roaring Rim Trail. It's not in my second edition book. Wondering if it's in the 3rd?  Never heard of it. I was just looking for easy stuff to do the first couple days before everyone gets there. Thinking Schafer switch backs b/c I've never done them and then found this one.   :cheers2:

The Bear Whisperer

• Supporting Member
  • aka - Screaming "Bear"
« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2019, 09:17:57 AM »

I see RR4Wheelers have expanded their trails list. It's on it but not very descriptive. Not in 3rd edition.
https://www.rr4w.com/trail-details.cfm?trailid=40

Mase58

• Supporting Member
« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2019, 09:55:42 AM »

A friend who wants to go is trying to get his buggy completed by then. If he can he would prefer to drive it to the trails rather than tow it. it will be "Green Stickered" here at home. Looking at the link Doug posted it doesn't look like it will be too much trouble.

RockWoRM

• LJ's do it longer
  • Supporting Member
« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2019, 11:44:02 AM »

Has anyone done White Rim trail. Looks really long, but some different scenery. I guess it starts off Schaffer switch backs?  Wondering if it can be done in a day?  :dunno:

Looks easy enough to drive the truck instead the Jeep. 

The Bear Whisperer

• Supporting Member
  • aka - Screaming "Bear"
« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2019, 07:36:29 PM »

Has anyone done White Rim trail. Looks really long, but some different scenery. I guess it starts off Schaffer switch backs?  Wondering if it can be done in a day?  :dunno:

Looks easy enough to drive the truck instead the Jeep.
Pretty sure that is an over-night distance requiring a permit. Depending on spring rainfall there could be some challenging washouts. We've never driven it farther than Muscleman Arch I think it was.

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2019, 07:49:59 PM »

Yeah off the Arch spot on Schaeffer.  I read (maybe in the Moab book) that it's a minimum 2 day and permit required.  I'm pretty certain that you can see parts of the trail from the overlook in Canyon Lands.

RockWoRM

• LJ's do it longer
  • Supporting Member
« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2019, 11:53:03 AM »

Oh well. Maybe better just do muscleman and back then. Maybe even a hike to Corona arch on the way back?  :cheers2:

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2019, 05:34:53 PM »

The switchbacks are definitely on the easy side, we ran that trail two years ago in Sean's truck after I broke my shit.

Not that it's not worth doing, it's certainly scenic and you skip the admission gate to Canyonlands, it's a good sight seeing day.

RockWoRM

• LJ's do it longer
  • Supporting Member

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: November 27, 2019, 03:17:19 PM »

That's why I said it was kinda related.  I didn't order it either, but it would be a good thing to carry.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5