Norcal Jeepers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Tapatalk is still having problems starting new threads, but you can still reply to old threads

Welcome to Norcal Jeepers!
Welcome to Norcal Jeepers! It looks like you're not registered yet. As a guest you are missing out on a bunch of great content that is only viewable once you register. To register, simply follow the link below and fill out some information about yourself. It only takes a few minutes!

Click here to register now!

Author Topic: Winter Trail/Wheeling  (Read 458 times)

RockWoRM

• LJ's do it longer
  • Supporting Member
Winter Trail/Wheeling
« on: October 24, 2020, 11:41:52 AM »

OK. We all know it's been slow around here. And I know some are prolly looking to some snow wheeling at some time.

But... I'm getting burned out on working lately and not getting to do any real wheeling this whole year. Soooo, I've been thinking of a REAL wheeling/crawling trip later this year. Likely after New Year. Maybe Calico again. Sand Flats in St. George? I've even contemplated a Winter run to Moab!  :eek:

Calico would be decent weather... usually is during winter. Sand flats prolly not too bad... 50's/60's and dry. Moab probably cold but still sunny days if no storm in the forecast.

What say you guys??? 
'05 LJR, 4.0, HT, AC, 6sp, 5.13 D44's, Alloy shafts, RC long arm w/6" MC dual rate coils, All MC armor, Warn 9.5, OEM front bumper, Rockhard rear swing out, ProComp bolt in int. cage. CB

timatoe

• Administrator
Re: Winter Trail/Wheeling
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2020, 07:46:21 PM »

How far is Calico from you?  I could maybe do a trip like that, really right now I'm just waiting for Moab.  Sean and I were talking about doing 8-9 days in Moab then 3-4 at Sand Hollow, or some combination of.

RockWoRM

• LJ's do it longer
  • Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2020, 06:26:09 AM »

Calico is about 4 hrs from me. They have an RV park and basic cabins... just bunks. The town itself has a general store (mostly tourist stuff) and a breakfast/dinner place. There's enough wheeling and exploring to do in the area for a couple days if ya wanted to make a long 4 day weekend.
There is also a very cool, IMHO, museum/antique place @ the 4 corners on the way to Barstow. A ton of restored WWll Jeeps and halftracks and other stuff... plus a few classic cars.
The trails are fun and fairly tough. Gatekeeper is simply insane stupid!!!  :flipoff:
There are areas you can dry camp... but a couple miles from the town.
'05 LJR, 4.0, HT, AC, 6sp, 5.13 D44's, Alloy shafts, RC long arm w/6" MC dual rate coils, All MC armor, Warn 9.5, OEM front bumper, Rockhard rear swing out, ProComp bolt in int. cage. CB

Capt 86CJ

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2020, 08:51:03 AM »

I'm interested, but in the mean time what about day trips until the snow gets too deep?

For instance I'm heading up to my buddies cabin in South Lake the 6th and 7th and am going to explore the east end of the Rubicon and possibly Hope Valley to Meadow Lake.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 08:54:22 AM by Capt 86CJ »
1986 CJ-7,  258 w/Howell, T-5, D300, D30, D44, 4.10, rear ARB, 33", Warn 9000i

The Bear Whisperer

• aka - Screaming "Bear"
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2020, 11:14:43 AM »

..... For instance I'm heading up to my buddies cabin in South Lake the 6th and 7th and am going to explore the east end of the Rubicon and possibly Hope Valley to Meadow Lake.
Hope Valley to Meadow Lake? What about Hermit Valley to Blue Lakes? Dear Valley is a pretty nice Jeep Trail.(Hwy4 was still open a couple weeks ago)  :thumbsup:
51 CJ3-A, 4.3 TBI Chevy, SM420, Dana 18TC, D30/44, 4.27:1 Gears = 74:1 Yukon Front Axles and Hubs, Detroit Fr / E-Locker Rr, 8K winch, HD steering, Viair 550C, 100% LED - VisionX headlights, Rigid Light-bar, DOT Fogs, Grote tail, Soft Top, Heater, CB/Ham/Stereo, 35"KM-2's, ~3" up, Rubicon Express YJ springs on the rear

andyinCopper

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2020, 07:54:51 PM »

I may be up for some Deer Valley
Also looking forward to doing some snow wheeling at sour grass / boards crossing.
1990 wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI, 3sp Auto, D30 Eaton E-locker, 8.8 with Powertrax no-slip. np231. about 4" of lift. 33" BFG KM2s, SYE, Tom Woods Drive Shaft. □|||||||□

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2020, 09:51:41 AM »

Calico is about 4 hrs from me. They have an RV park and basic cabins... just bunks. The town itself has a general store (mostly tourist stuff) and a breakfast/dinner place. There's enough wheeling and exploring to do in the area for a couple days if ya wanted to make a long 4 day weekend.
There is also a very cool, IMHO, museum/antique place @ the 4 corners on the way to Barstow. A ton of restored WWll Jeeps and halftracks and other stuff... plus a few classic cars.
The trails are fun and fairly tough. Gatekeeper is simply insane stupid!!!  :flipoff:
There are areas you can dry camp... but a couple miles from the town.

That could be doable on one of my 4 day weekends.  After I get the new crawler/hauler situated.

RockWoRM

• LJ's do it longer
  • Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2020, 10:39:38 AM »

That could be doable on one of my 4 day weekends.  After I get the new crawler/hauler situated.
Sounds good. We'll try to make it happen.
Obviously I can't make any 'day' trips up your guys way. A bit far for just one day.  :ballchain:

Throw out some dates later when you think it'll work out. Then we can see if anyone else want to join in. Then we can work out the details.  :cheers:

Mase58

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2020, 05:16:11 AM »

Tim and I are now on opposite sides of the week. It can make things easier or harder, just depends on what the schedule actually looks like. Guess it's a good thing I know the guy that does it. :peep: