Norcal Jeepers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Tapatalk is still having problems starting new threads, but you can still reply to old threads

Welcome to Norcal Jeepers!
Welcome to Norcal Jeepers! It looks like you're not registered yet. As a guest you are missing out on a bunch of great content that is only viewable once you register. To register, simply follow the link below and fill out some information about yourself. It only takes a few minutes!

Click here to register now!

Author Topic: YJ leaf spring options for stretch and good flex  (Read 217 times)

andyinCopper

YJ leaf spring options for stretch and good flex
« on: November 12, 2020, 07:51:04 PM »

I'm thinking of replacing my front leaf springs (procrap 2.5") in order to better my match my rear (3.5" bds). I like the idea of a little stretch and have seen the rancho 44044 listed in the forums. I'm still SUA and want to stay that way for now. I've also thought of just matching the fronts to the rears but thought more wheelbase might be good. I want springs that flex decently and don't know how the 44044 springs would flex on a YJ.

What's all y'alls thoughts on this? Best options? Thanks.
1990 wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI, 3sp Auto, D30 Eaton E-locker, 8.8 with Powertrax no-slip. np231. about 4" of lift. 33" BFG KM2s, SYE, Tom Woods Drive Shaft. □|||||||□

timatoe

• Administrator
Re: YJ leaf spring options for stretch and good flex
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2020, 08:55:35 AM »

I've never heard anything (good or bad) about Rancho Springs.  I'd get another set of BDS springs, I think those have a slight offset on the pin anyhow.

andyinCopper

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2020, 08:48:22 PM »

I couldn't find anything about the BDS springs being offset. The stretch isn't necessary was just an idea.
1990 wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI, 3sp Auto, D30 Eaton E-locker, 8.8 with Powertrax no-slip. np231. about 4" of lift. 33" BFG KM2s, SYE, Tom Woods Drive Shaft. □|||||||□

Mase58

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2020, 11:49:02 AM »

I have run the Rubicon Express on two of my jeeps, spring under and spring over. They have good flex, are durable and not very expensive. I do not believe they are off-set though. if you find some that are off-set that could also change up your steering and driveline application. 44044's I believe are typically used on Toyota front in conjunction with the Chevy 63" in the rear.

https://www.amazon.com/Rubicon-Express-RE1430-Leaf-Spring/dp/B006GJKRPC

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2020, 02:48:45 AM »

I think it's the BDS 5" springs that Mr. B ran, I know for sure those are offset because he had them on one way and they caused the rear pumpkin to hit the skid so he flipped them.

The RE springs would be my #3 choice after BDS or OME.  If you're looking for stretch options maybe look for other springs.... Here's a helpful chart https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1In5Mz6hklQ89TcGDU2OTJkTK2w8DN_aPwV6qQf1-45U/edit#gid=0

RockWoRM

• LJ's do it longer
  • Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2020, 12:45:37 PM »

I think it's the BDS 5" springs that Mr. B ran, I know for sure those are offset because he had them on one way and they caused the rear pumpkin to hit the skid so he flipped them.

The RE springs would be my #3 choice after BDS or OME.  If you're looking for stretch options maybe look for other springs.... Here's a helpful chart https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1In5Mz6hklQ89TcGDU2OTJkTK2w8DN_aPwV6qQf1-45U/edit#gid=0
I had the BDS 5" on my YJ and yes, they are off set 3/4" IIRC. Or at least used to be.
'05 LJR, 4.0, HT, AC, 6sp, 5.13 D44's, Alloy shafts, RC long arm w/6" MC dual rate coils, All MC armor, Warn 9.5, OEM front bumper, Rockhard rear swing out, ProComp bolt in int. cage. CB