Norcal Jeepers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Well that was a fun 40 hours. Thank you Godaddy. We're back up and running, but in the next 30 days there will some scheduled down time.

Welcome to Norcal Jeepers!
Welcome to Norcal Jeepers! It looks like you're not registered yet. As a guest you are missing out on a bunch of great content that is only viewable once you register. To register, simply follow the link below and fill out some information about yourself. It only takes a few minutes!

Click here to register now!

Author Topic: Welding Gear  (Read 2775 times)

connor0770

Welding Gear
« on: December 01, 2011, 07:50:51 PM »

What type/brand hood are you guys using? Where did you get it? And how much.  Also gloves?

Can't wait to start welding  :2thumbsup:
-97 TJ, 35's, Currie 4" lift, Dana 30 w/ ARB, 8.8, Trail Gear Front Bumper With w/ XRC8, LOD Tire Carrier, UCF Tummy Tuck, Smittybuilt Corners, Poison Spider Sliders

Schonertod

Re: Welding Gear
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 08:05:47 PM »

off power inn road there is a place called barnes welding. http://fresnooxygen.com/location.mcic . They have a lot of stuff in stock and are really nice to students. Currently im running a $50 hood from harbor freight right now and i have not had any issues with it. My brother runs the same hood and has for the past 2 years with out any issues. Gloves i would get at barnes as the ones at HF are really cheap.
Beauty in death comes but once in a life time...

connor0770

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 08:09:59 PM »

Is your HF hood auto darkening? I dont want to skimp out on a hood considering i only have one set of eyes.
-97 TJ, 35's, Currie 4" lift, Dana 30 w/ ARB, 8.8, Trail Gear Front Bumper With w/ XRC8, LOD Tire Carrier, UCF Tummy Tuck, Smittybuilt Corners, Poison Spider Sliders

rangair94

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 08:38:46 PM »

I've had Miller performance hhod for the last 5 years. Never had any problems. I got it at cyber weld, an online store. I like it because it had one of the bigger viewing areas at the time I got it. I personally like a big field of view some people don't. As far as auto darkening it depends on what you are welding. If you are going to welding in wierd spots, like with building cages, I would say non auto darking. It sucks when the shield doesn't darken. For learning though I would get an auto darkening model. Fixed shields are super cheap and you can get one anytime. I started welding with one of those Harbor Freight auto darkening models, they are ok. The screen on the one I have doesn't evenly darken. Its good for what it is, I keep it for a back up hood.

If you are going to be mig and stick welding I would just get the cheap harbor frieght ones. All gloves end up in the trash any way. I have had some Harbor Frieght ones last longer then store brand gloves. None last that long anyway so save your money. I would spend it on a full leather jacket. Thats a much better investment then expensive gloves. I think they offer so much more protection then those green cloth ones.
Allen

rangair94

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 08:47:30 PM »

Are you welding at school?
Allen

connor0770

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 08:56:56 PM »

Are you welding at school?

Nope. Just picked up a welder from my buddy for dirt cheap. Its a lil campbell hausfeld 130 welder. Been watching you-tube videos and lots of write ups on how to weld.

rangair94

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 09:06:16 PM »

Thats how I started. I had one of those Lincoln 110v welders and a lot of trial and error and internet research. Then I got access to a 220v welder and really started to weld. Something else to think about is a welding cap and ear plugs keeps the spatter out of your ears.

Welding web is a good forum to check out. A lot of good info on there along with all your normal forum drama. Welding tips and tricks also has a lot of good stuff.
Allen

connor0770

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 09:10:32 PM »

Thats how I started. I had one of those Lincoln 110v welders and a lot of trial and error and internet research. Then I got access to a 220v welder and really started to weld. Something else to think about is a welding cap and ear plugs keeps the spatter out of your ears.

Welding web is a good forum to check out. A lot of good info on there along with all your normal forum drama. Welding tips and tricks also has a lot of good stuff.

Thanks!! Yea i cant even use a 220 in the place im in right now. (the dryer is up 2 flights of stairs).  I just plan to use this to learn to weld and do little things to the jeep like Control arm skids, cb mount.. maybe fenders if i get corners...

Ive read so far you want to start with little circles basically and not go to the weave (up up back up up back) pattern yet.

rangair94

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 09:30:25 PM »

I would start on a flat piece of steel, trying to get a straight even weld. Just pull the trigger and watch the puddle trying to get a consistent puddle. Turn the welder all the way up. Thats really the only way you are going to get that welder to weld anything bigger then sheetmetal. Thats the problem with most 110 welders they just don't make the heat you need. Finding the feed speed you need is going to take some time to figure out at first.

There is no set pattern for welding like a weave or circles(at least in a flat position) You will find what works for you for what you are welding. 
Allen

connor0770

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 09:38:18 PM »

I would start on a flat piece of steel, trying to get a straight even weld. Just pull the trigger and watch the puddle trying to get a consistent puddle. Turn the welder all the way up. Thats really the only way you are going to get that welder to weld anything bigger then sheetmetal. Thats the problem with most 110 welders they just don't make the heat you need. Finding the feed speed you need is going to take some time to figure out at first.

There is no set pattern for welding like a weave or circles(at least in a flat position) You will find what works for you for what you are welding. 

I cant turnt the welder all the way up at the place im at. So ill practice with it, then go to a house and turn it all the way up.

connor0770

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 09:48:28 PM »

http://www.harborfreight.com/blue-flame-design-auto-darkening-welding-helmet-91214.html how is this hood? 60 bucks (could care less about the color design)

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2011, 03:17:16 PM »

Connor that's the same hood I use.  It actually has a faster reaction time than some high dollar hoods.  I got mine on sale for like $39.  I really like Hobarts "The Hood" but haven't spent the money on one yet.  For gloves etc, just go by Airgas or any welding shop and pick up some gloves and a jacket, you can't get both of those for less than $30.

bdock

• Jeeps Are Gay.
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2011, 09:17:44 PM »

Like I told you. I just have regular hood. But I have all the different glass (for different types of metal/welding). I've been using the Radnor gloves from the Airgas shop I get our work stuff from. I've been doing a lot of Air Arc stuff at work... Talk about a learning curve!
Connor is a queer

bdock

• Jeeps Are Gay.
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2011, 09:20:20 PM »

Also just weld a bunch of crap, learn how to check out your welds for penetration and shit, and yeah weld a bunch of crap. I think welding is like drawing... some people have it some people don't. And those who don't shouldn't ;)
Connor is a queer

Schonertod

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2011, 10:13:13 PM »

My hood is an auto dark. Like these other guys said start out welding scrap and then move up to just welding stuff together and trying to break it so you can see where your weak spots are. Also dont be afraid to play with the settings once you get the hang of it it will sound like bacon sizzling in a pan.

here is one of the best links you can go to for tips and tricks on welding even the pros could learn something from it.
http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/

Just be safe and be smart welding is one of the most dangerous trades if your not. Also always make sure you have great ventilation.   
Beauty in death comes but once in a life time...

connor0770

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2011, 11:19:26 PM »

Going to airgas on Monday for gloves. Gonna pick up a Hobart hood online.  Went to my buddies shop and picked up all his scrap metal. Been doing a lot of reading on it. Just need a hood so I can practice.

Mr.B

• "But officer, it was a Subaru!"
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2011, 04:19:34 AM »

I have one you can use.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

You're a super genius....
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

connor0770

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2011, 10:51:41 AM »

I have one you can use.

what is it? AD or fixed?

Mr.B

• "But officer, it was a Subaru!"
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2011, 10:09:22 PM »

I have both.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

You're a super genius....
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein