Norcal Jeepers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Tapatalk is still having problems starting new threads, but you can still reply to old threads

Welcome to Norcal Jeepers!
Welcome to Norcal Jeepers! It looks like you're not registered yet. As a guest you are missing out on a bunch of great content that is only viewable once you register. To register, simply follow the link below and fill out some information about yourself. It only takes a few minutes!

Click here to register now!

Author Topic: New R&P  (Read 3473 times)

Agent620

• Rescue Red
  • Red 5 Standing By
New R&P
« on: December 07, 2011, 02:08:33 PM »

So as most of you know I need a new r&p in the front axle of my cj5 project. I went to a shop today and they quoted me $1100. 600 labor, 500 parts. Is this a bit high? I thought you could get both front and rear done at that price.
I wish I was more responsible.
Spite is a wonderful thing!
Friends don't let friends get anally raped in the woods.

connor0770

Re: New R&P
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 02:27:42 PM »

I got a whole gear instal kit from Randys R&P for 250 i think it was. Had it installed for around 200 (friend discount)... I think your getting ripped
-97 TJ, 35's, Currie 4" lift, Dana 30 w/ ARB, 8.8, Trail Gear Front Bumper With w/ XRC8, LOD Tire Carrier, UCF Tummy Tuck, Smittybuilt Corners, Poison Spider Sliders

Agent620

• Rescue Red
  • Red 5 Standing By
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 02:39:10 PM »

I got a whole gear instal kit from Randys R&P for 250 i think it was. Had it installed for around 200 (friend discount)... I think your getting ripped
Dang thats a nice price! Might have to trailer it to you.

pdangerp

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 06:16:09 PM »

I think 1000 Or 800 per axle is the going rate in the bay area

Agent620

• Rescue Red
  • Red 5 Standing By
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 06:20:29 PM »

I think 1000 Or 800 per axle is the going rate in the bay area

800 I don't think would be so bad, but 1100 is just wayyy too much I think. I'll talk with my friend since we have a club meeting tonight.

The Bear Whisperer

• aka - Screaming "Bear"
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 09:05:13 AM »

Was that quote from WCD? Man that is expensive. I paid 250 for a complete axle and 75 for a brand new Spicer R&P I found on eBay. Unless you really need new carrier bearings it's possible to DIY, especially if the pinion has the same etched number on it. If I were you I would keep my eyes open for a R&P to slap in there. It is alot of wrenching to get the carrier out, but if the brngs are ok you might get away with an acceptable backlash without moving any shims. Go to the Spicer website and read the setup instructions. I felt comfortable enough to do my own and have had no problems. When we are on a tight budget you need to cut corners somewhere. It's only the front axle...  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-Dana-30-Carrier-Ring-and-Pinion-3-54-and-3-31-Ratio-D30-/220906001575?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item336f0614a7                                                                      HURRY 5 HRS REMAINING
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 09:13:47 AM by Screaming Bear »
51 CJ3-A, 4.3 TBI Chevy, SM420, Dana 18TC, D30/44, 4.27:1 Gears = 74:1 Yukon Front Axles and Hubs, Detroit Fr / E-Locker Rr, 8K winch, HD steering, Viair 550C, 100% LED - VisionX headlights, Rigid Light-bar, DOT Fogs, Grote tail, Soft Top, Heater, CB/Ham/Stereo, 35"KM-2's, ~3" up, Rubicon Express YJ springs on the rear

Agent620

• Rescue Red
  • Red 5 Standing By
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 09:26:53 AM »

Was that quote from WCD? Man that is expensive. I paid 250 for a complete axle and 75 for a brand new Spicer R&P I found on eBay. Unless you really need new carrier bearings it's possible to DIY, especially if the pinion has the same etched number on it. If I were you I would keep my eyes open for a R&P to slap in there. It is alot of wrenching to get the carrier out, but if the brngs are ok you might get away with an acceptable backlash without moving any shims. Go to the Spicer website and read the setup instructions. I felt comfortable enough to do my own and have had no problems. When we are on a tight budget you need to cut corners somewhere. It's only the front axle...  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-Dana-30-Carrier-Ring-and-Pinion-3-54-and-3-31-Ratio-D30-/220906001575?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item336f0614a7                                                                      HURRY 5 HRS REMAINING

Man thats cheap  :drool:...I'll try to snag it up, just have to get the ok from above.  :thumbsup:

The quote was from a local shop a friend told me to go to. WCD I havent talked to yet since they are a ways off from me and I need to find a trailer and tow rig to get it there.

The Bear Whisperer

• aka - Screaming "Bear"
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 09:41:04 AM »

That R&P is in Citrus Heights, Ca.  I would bet you could pick it up and save shipping. You could make a small bid a half hour or so from the end just to get a feel for the other bidder, then up your Max Bid within a minute of the auction end time to sinch the deal. I hope you win! Cheap fix.  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 10:22:43 AM by Screaming Bear »
51 CJ3-A, 4.3 TBI Chevy, SM420, Dana 18TC, D30/44, 4.27:1 Gears = 74:1 Yukon Front Axles and Hubs, Detroit Fr / E-Locker Rr, 8K winch, HD steering, Viair 550C, 100% LED - VisionX headlights, Rigid Light-bar, DOT Fogs, Grote tail, Soft Top, Heater, CB/Ham/Stereo, 35"KM-2's, ~3" up, Rubicon Express YJ springs on the rear

Agent620

• Rescue Red
  • Red 5 Standing By
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2011, 09:45:15 AM »

That R&P is in Citrus Heights, Ca.  I would bet you could pick it up and save shipping. Make a max Bid, I hope you win! Cheap fix.  :thumbsup:
It would cost more to drive and get it than shipping would. I'm a good 3 hours from Citrus Heights. 15 isnt a bad price on shipping.

Agent620

• Rescue Red
  • Red 5 Standing By
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2011, 11:28:24 AM »

Will the shop install a used R&P? I've been told over on JF that I have to do the bearings and am not able to do this install myself. Hey Bear, you want to help? Couple cases of beer and a few pizzas?  :biggrin:

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2011, 11:47:47 AM »

$1100 is WAY too expensive for one axle.  Before I knew better, I had the entire D35 rebuilt (everything but the housing) for $1,200.  When I re-geared the D30 and 8.8 it was right at $1,200 total for both axles with parts and labor and that included installing the two ARB's (I already had those though).

The Bear Whisperer

• aka - Screaming "Bear"
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2011, 12:31:58 PM »

Will the shop install a used R&P? I've been told over on JF that I have to do the bearings and am not able to do this install myself. Hey Bear, you want to help? Couple cases of beer and a few pizzas?  :biggrin:
Sure; they wouldn't have to waranty the work on used parts. If you get the R&P lets see if the pinion has the same set up number. This may be easier than you think. A shop uses brngs that slip on during set-up. Once they pull your brngs they shouldn't be reused. If your brngs are okay and the backlash is within spec, your almost there. I know a lot of people are cringing right now, but I think we are talking "patch" here. As far as the beer goes, no thanks.

Agent620

• Rescue Red
  • Red 5 Standing By
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2011, 04:00:30 PM »

Didn't bid. Shop will charge more to install a used gear, didnt get the OK from above and I had to leave for class. No joy. Found a part out 74 CJ5 with 2 dana 30's and a 44. Going to see if still available and what gear ratio. Would be sooo much cheaper and easier just to swap.

The Bear Whisperer

• aka - Screaming "Bear"
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2011, 04:52:36 PM »

Bidding frenzy drove it up to $122, still not bad. But if you aren't going to tackle the job I guess an axle swap is better for you. If that is an 86 dana 44 it is rare. The model 20 rear is wimpy.

Agent620

• Rescue Red
  • Red 5 Standing By
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2011, 06:39:20 PM »

Bidding frenzy drove it up to $122, still not bad. But if you aren't going to tackle the job I guess an axle swap is better for you. If that is an 86 dana 44 it is rare. The model 20 rear is wimpy.
Not sure what year the 44 is, was it not standard in the 74?

The Bear Whisperer

• aka - Screaming "Bear"
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2011, 07:31:26 AM »

Yes, the 20 ran from 76-86. I thought you had a 79 for some reason.

Agent620

• Rescue Red
  • Red 5 Standing By
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2011, 08:00:00 AM »

Yes, the 20 ran from 76-86. I thought you had a 79 for some reason.
Nope, its a '77, the rust can prove it.

cpahtmike101

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2012, 04:53:59 PM »

Give http://www.specialized4wd.com/ a call a few years back the installed a r&p detroit locker and an axle shaft for $1200 I think labor was only $300

Last year when my R&P went out I got the friend discount of tacobell.
To be the best you got to beat the best. You my friend can never beat me.

Agent620

• Rescue Red
  • Red 5 Standing By
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2012, 08:01:48 PM »

Already taken care of. I picked up a matching set of axles. D44 and D30.  :cheers: