Norcal Jeepers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Well that was a fun 40 hours. Thank you Godaddy. We're back up and running, but in the next 30 days there will some scheduled down time.

Welcome to Norcal Jeepers!
Welcome to Norcal Jeepers! It looks like you're not registered yet. As a guest you are missing out on a bunch of great content that is only viewable once you register. To register, simply follow the link below and fill out some information about yourself. It only takes a few minutes!

Click here to register now!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Axles  (Read 15454 times)

bigsquat

Re: Axles
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2012, 09:04:58 PM »

does the 14 bolt have a bigger pumpkin than the 60. i was reading the other day and someone was saying that you need to watch how much axle u put under your jeep compared to tire size. if your tires arent at least 37's or 40's i think , that you will get hung up.  after some research it seemed that the 1978 and 79 ford had the best ones for the yj. it has leaf spring set up, high pinion, reverse cut and the biggest spline count. dodges not good. low pionion ,smaller spline count.
and the ford in that year has king pins instead of ball joints, which is better

connor0770

« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2012, 09:07:38 PM »

If your gonna run the 14b on anything less then a 37 your def gonna need to cut and shave it. Im gonna end up cutting and shaving mine. I think im gonna go with the Blue Torch Kit when they come out with it here soon. Introductory price and they will shave the ring gear down.

You can shave the 14b into a 13 bolt, but i hear they tend to leak.
-97 TJ, 35's, Currie 4" lift, Dana 30 w/ ARB, 8.8, Trail Gear Front Bumper With w/ XRC8, LOD Tire Carrier, UCF Tummy Tuck, Smittybuilt Corners, Poison Spider Sliders

bigsquat

« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2012, 09:09:13 PM »

i have a dana 70 in my back yard, its to big to move so it is lawn art. it came out of my 86 ford 4 door f350.

bigsquat

« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2012, 09:10:42 PM »

If your gonna run the 14b on anything less then a 37 your def gonna need to cut and shave it. Im gonna end up cutting and shaving mine. I think im gonna go with the Blue Torch Kit when they come out with it here soon. Introductory price and they will shave the ring gear down.

its nice to see that college pays so well.

connor0770

« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2012, 09:12:22 PM »

are you talking about my internet grammar? or the fact that i have been researching build threads like its my homework?
-97 TJ, 35's, Currie 4" lift, Dana 30 w/ ARB, 8.8, Trail Gear Front Bumper With w/ XRC8, LOD Tire Carrier, UCF Tummy Tuck, Smittybuilt Corners, Poison Spider Sliders

bigsquat

« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2012, 09:16:58 PM »

are you talking about my internet grammar? or the fact that i have been researching build threads like its my homework?
im talking about your ability to build a rig that is pricey ,being a college student. most live on top romin

connor0770

« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2012, 09:19:22 PM »

im talking about your ability to build a rig that is pricey ,being a college student. most live on top romin

sold the dirtbike and have a job. Dont spend money on anything else really. Just slowly accumulating parts. Prob wont build my Jeep until next winter/spring.. if this summer job goes through.

Agent620

• Rescue Red
  • Red 5 Standing By
« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2012, 07:37:14 PM »

Ok, I'm back on this subject. I'm thinking 8.8 now that comes with 4.10 that I want for my soon to be 33's. How hard is this actually to do. Is the bolt pattern the same? How do I get rims to fit if its now. Connor, you are the man to talk to on this. I'm thinking the artec truss to keep things simple too.
I wish I was more responsible.
Spite is a wonderful thing!
Friends don't let friends get anally raped in the woods.

norcal_chris

• always down to wheel
« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2012, 08:11:44 PM »

Axle swaps are pretty easy.  There can be a lot of small things that you need to figure out, but if you go with the artec kit it is pretty idiot proof.

bolt pattern is same.
axle width is about 5/8 narrower on either side
'95 or later Ford Explorer for disc brakes

The explorer axle has a flange type for the driveshaft.  you either need to convert it to regular yoke or get the adapter.  I would run the adapter.  this is it  http://www.4wd.com/Jeep-Drivetrain-Jeep-Axles-Differentials/Companion-Flange-Drive-Shaft-Adapter.aspx?t_c=12&t_s=515&t_pt=7940&t_pn=cur88-cfda&gp=1&utm_source=google&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=product&emlprox=out

The artec swap kit has detailed instructions as far as setting brackets and such.  You will just need an angle finder and welder for the rest. 
Ruined a perfectly good jeep.

norcal_chris

• always down to wheel
« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2012, 08:16:15 PM »

Ruined a perfectly good jeep.

Agent620

• Rescue Red
  • Red 5 Standing By
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2012, 08:19:29 PM »

Seems fairly easy. Would it have to be re-welded if I went to a 4" lift? Seems like the 8.8 would come out cheaper than getting a 44 and regearing it.

Agent620

• Rescue Red
  • Red 5 Standing By
« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2012, 08:25:10 PM »

Went through that site and it comes out at about 1000 after shipping and no truss. If I could get the axle for 200, truss for 300, and the other stuff for 2-300 it comes out at 7-800.

Anticanman

• Sprung Under for Her Pleasure
« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2012, 09:31:55 PM »

Just make sure you get one with an open differential. Yes, open. The lunchbox lockers are a lot cheaper for that model. That's unless you're fine with just limited slip (you'd be amazed at what just three clicks of an ebrake can do) or you're planning on switching out the diff for a full case locker in the future.
Asian in stock JKU initiated wave... be jealous fool
I said screw it. I'm going for the tranny tonight.

Agent620

• Rescue Red
  • Red 5 Standing By
« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2012, 09:35:43 PM »

I dont really want a lunchbox locker in the rear since I like snow driving and such. I know people say it doesnt make much of a difference but still. I'd want selectable back there. I dont really care if its open or limited, it would get swaped out eventually once I got the funds.

connor0770

Axles
« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2012, 10:33:18 PM »

I dont really want a lunchbox locker in the rear since I like snow driving and such. I know people say it doesnt make much of a difference but still. I'd want selectable back there. I dont really care if its open or limited, it would get swaped out eventually once I got the funds.
why not get a limited slip? If you can I would. It def helps a bit. Do you need to truss it? If you bend a tube on an 8.8 then your doing it wrong... The only reason I would truss it is to help prevent the axle tube from spinning. And the chances of that are slim without running at least 35s. Stock for Stock the 8.8 is way stronger than the 44. Heck throw a super 88 kit on it and you can run 39.5s and not worry too much.

Agent620

• Rescue Red
  • Red 5 Standing By
« Reply #55 on: May 09, 2012, 07:02:03 AM »

Because the truss comes with the brackets so I dont have to do any measuring and what not.

Agent620

• Rescue Red
  • Red 5 Standing By
« Reply #56 on: May 09, 2012, 08:33:00 AM »

Is an 8.8 for $200 worth it? 4.10 ratio, possi and disc brakes. Also found some 31 spline shafts for $40, worth it?

autumnxtoxsehsa

• Supporting Member
Axles
« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2012, 08:42:33 AM »

Sounds worth it to me, if I found one for that price I'd be all over it, if you got any leads with 8.8's with the same specs hook a brother up! =]

Agent620

• Rescue Red
  • Red 5 Standing By
« Reply #58 on: May 09, 2012, 08:44:34 AM »

I'll keep my eye out, if I dont go for it I'll toss you the link.  :thumbsup:

Agent620

• Rescue Red
  • Red 5 Standing By
« Reply #59 on: May 09, 2012, 08:52:39 AM »

Dang, I think I just found for for a lil over $100. Its a drive from me but I'll have to check into it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5