Norcal Jeepers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Well that was a fun 40 hours. Thank you Godaddy. We're back up and running, but in the next 30 days there will some scheduled down time.

Welcome to Norcal Jeepers!
Welcome to Norcal Jeepers! It looks like you're not registered yet. As a guest you are missing out on a bunch of great content that is only viewable once you register. To register, simply follow the link below and fill out some information about yourself. It only takes a few minutes!

Click here to register now!

Author Topic: Can anybody cut & drill 1/4" plate?  (Read 3273 times)

Day215

Can anybody cut & drill 1/4" plate?
« on: March 31, 2012, 09:29:33 PM »

I need to make some new spring plates for this trailer I'm working on. I have the steel, but other than a sawzall/angle grinder and hand drill, I don't have a quick and easy way to cut and drill. I was thinking about buying a metal blade for my circular saw, but they seem to run about $30-40 bucks. I have the old plates to use as a template, thought I might see if anyone has the means to get er' done.
92 Toyota minitruck Front Dana 60 4.88s, Lincoln locked, drive slugs blah blah blah. Rear Dana 70 4.88s, Lincoln locked, 63 chevys. W56 5speed, 2.28 duals, 22re. 39.5s and other stuff. Bobbed, exod, cut up etc. I used to wheel a YJ, then I defected. Now no one talks to me anymore.....cant completly blame that on the switch though.

I'm out of the club. Stay away from my wiener.

timatoe

• Administrator
Re: Can anybody cut & drill 1/4" plate?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 11:45:12 AM »

Do not use a circular saw.  Run down to Harbor Freight and pick up cut off wheels for the angle grinder.  Yeah it takes a while but it's cheaper than the blade for the other and you're at least five times less likely to cut your thumb off.

I could drill them for you but by the time you came up here etc. it would be way cheaper to just buy some new perches already made.

Mr.B

• "But officer, it was a Subaru!"
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 04:45:48 PM »

I just cut some spacers for my rear bumper, out of 1/4" plate, with my angle grinder. I don't have a drill press, so I took them to a machine shop, and they drilled the holes for me.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

You're a super genius....
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

Day215

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 05:38:52 PM »

Seems like the angle grinder and a pile of cut of wheels is the way to go. I'll just have to go at it with the corded dewalt drill and some cutting oil to do the holes. Thanks for the suggestions, I appreciate it.
92 Toyota minitruck Front Dana 60 4.88s, Lincoln locked, drive slugs blah blah blah. Rear Dana 70 4.88s, Lincoln locked, 63 chevys. W56 5speed, 2.28 duals, 22re. 39.5s and other stuff. Bobbed, exod, cut up etc. I used to wheel a YJ, then I defected. Now no one talks to me anymore.....cant completly blame that on the switch though.

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 05:56:13 PM »

If the Dewalt has a slower speed use that.

Schonertod

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 06:03:41 PM »

depending on how big the piece is and how much you need cut off i have a band saw and a make shift drill press. bring over some drill bits and we can get it done
Beauty in death comes but once in a life time...

JeffC

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 07:00:58 PM »

I have a cut off saw and I am close. Never used it to cut 1/4" but is should work fine.
I sent you a PM with my #
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 07:27:12 PM by JeffC »

Day215

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2012, 07:39:53 PM »

Hey guys I really appreciate the offers to help. It's not a real pressing issue at the moment, if I haven't got it knocked out by the end of the week, I'll get in touch with one of you guys and work out a time that's convient to your schedule. I just went out and attacked it with the sawzall, the cut was slow but surprisingly clean, it just might work.

If we're moving this trip to the rubicon, this trailer will definatley take a back burner, I need to focus on protecting certain parts of the rig before the trail tries to take them from me!

bdock

• Jeeps Are Gay.
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 12:45:46 PM »

I would use some cutting/drilling wax. you can get it at most welding supply places. It works better then most oils. BTW Im in Sacramento by Florin Perkins and Elder Creek. Close to EG and Ive got a full shop with a chop saw, drill press, industrial welder, and everything in between. We'll get it done in no time if you come by here. PM me.
Connor is a queer

KMD

• Built In USA
  • www.kmdgarage.com
    • Locked and Loaded 4x4 Club
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2012, 09:30:42 AM »

I can cut em out on the CNC plasma for you.
KMD Garage
775 Roth Rd
Lathrop,Ca. 95231
www.kmdgarage.com

bigsquat

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2012, 10:15:00 AM »

i can forge them from a meteorite if u want.  or use some titamium i have left over when i built the space shuttle.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 10:24:25 AM by bigsquat »

bigsquat

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2012, 10:18:14 AM »

if you want a cheep alternative to buying cutting lube, use electrical wire pulling soap. works great and home depot has it.

connor0770

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2012, 08:02:53 PM »

if you want a cheep alternative to buying cutting lube....

i stopped reading there.....
-97 TJ, 35's, Currie 4" lift, Dana 30 w/ ARB, 8.8, Trail Gear Front Bumper With w/ XRC8, LOD Tire Carrier, UCF Tummy Tuck, Smittybuilt Corners, Poison Spider Sliders

bigsquat

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2012, 09:28:50 PM »

if you want a cheep alternative to buying cutting lube....

i stopped reading there.....
there you go with your mind in the gutter.....  where you thinking something from the nightstand

norcal_chris

• always down to wheel
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2012, 09:42:48 PM »

Ruined a perfectly good jeep.