Norcal Jeepers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Tapatalk is still having problems starting new threads, but you can still reply to old threads

Welcome to Norcal Jeepers!
Welcome to Norcal Jeepers! It looks like you're not registered yet. As a guest you are missing out on a bunch of great content that is only viewable once you register. To register, simply follow the link below and fill out some information about yourself. It only takes a few minutes!

Click here to register now!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Flame suit on! Plexiglass footwells?  (Read 5474 times)

Day215

Flame suit on! Plexiglass footwells?
« on: May 26, 2012, 08:50:21 PM »

So I had this nutty idea while driving home today. I briefly looked down at my floor, thinking about what size plugs I need to plug the drain holes in the bottom of my tub. I started thinking about a buggy I saw in JP magazine, it had expanded metal as the floor structure. It gave the driver a perfect view of what the front wheels were running over.

I stated thinking, what would stop me from cutting a small rectangular section from the forward part of the footwells, then installing some thick acrylic as a viewing window. Something would need to be in place to keep the window from getting beat to hell from road debris, but I think it's doable. I'm just throwing this out there, flame on! :devil:
92 Toyota minitruck Front Dana 60 4.88s, Lincoln locked, drive slugs blah blah blah. Rear Dana 70 4.88s, Lincoln locked, 63 chevys. W56 5speed, 2.28 duals, 22re. 39.5s and other stuff. Bobbed, exod, cut up etc. I used to wheel a YJ, then I defected. Now no one talks to me anymore.....cant completly blame that on the switch though.

I'm out of the club. Stay away from my wiener.

norcal_chris

• always down to wheel
Re: Flame suit on! Plexiglass footwells?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 09:18:34 PM »

Ruined a perfectly good jeep.

Jam86

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 09:32:16 PM »

Im drawing a blank on the technical name but if you used the bullet proof plastic or glass i think thatd be plenty strong enough. Or cheaper solution two pieces of thick plastic, place one outside tub with holes drilled through have rubber surrounding the holes, then do the same inside and bolt through inside and place nut outside. Rubber creates water proof barrier hopefully, and using the rubber you could get leds or small lights to wire up through the rubber for vision when dark... if this doesnt make sense tell me to STFU because in my head it makes great sense but these 12hr days are kicking my ass. I tried maintaining punctuation, but i gave up.
I got a 6 foot bed that never has to be made!

Jam86

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 09:34:18 PM »

Ohh and figuratively the outside platic would only chip or break, which should be cheap/easy to replace. Having the inside one is just for redundancy, in case outer breaks you shouldnt get water or other things inside.

rangair94

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 10:40:40 PM »

The bulletproof plastic is lexan. I think you would be better off with plexiglass. I can never remember wich one but either laxan or plexiglass is not very abrasion resistant(almost positive its lexan) As for the original question why not? If you want to do it, do it.
Allen

Anticanman

• Sprung Under for Her Pleasure
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 11:33:44 PM »

It's a great idea except that folks in the rust belt will flame you for throwing away a perfectly good floor pan.
Asian in stock JKU initiated wave... be jealous fool
I said screw it. I'm going for the tranny tonight.

Day215

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2012, 07:44:15 AM »

Wow, I totally thought I would get shut down on this idea. I started thinking about a layer of metal mesh on the bottom side of the plexiglas, something with smaller spacing than expanded metal, think chicken wire. The mesh would serve the purpose of protecting the plastic from most chips and scratches, making it easily replaceable would have to be part of the design.

I like the idea of the two pieces sandwiched together, simple and effective. My original idea was a steel frame that would be slightly lower than the floor itself, the plexiglas would drop in and remain flush with the floor.
92 Toyota minitruck Front Dana 60 4.88s, Lincoln locked, drive slugs blah blah blah. Rear Dana 70 4.88s, Lincoln locked, 63 chevys. W56 5speed, 2.28 duals, 22re. 39.5s and other stuff. Bobbed, exod, cut up etc. I used to wheel a YJ, then I defected. Now no one talks to me anymore.....cant completly blame that on the switch though.

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2012, 07:57:28 AM »

I think the real issue is keeping it so you can actually see through it.  Whether you use plexi or lexan, it will scratch.  Lexan is going to be more resistant but I think it will still end up looking foggy over time.

Mr.B

• "But officer, it was a Subaru!"
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2012, 02:28:52 PM »

why don't you put a couple of those back-up cameras down there with a monitor. Then rocklights for night.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

You're a super genius....
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

connor0770

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2012, 03:56:09 PM »

A lot of the CalRocs guys do that on their rigs. Then again their rigs are built for the sole purpose of crawling. Do you really think you need to do it? Not trying to flame but id hate for you to cut up your floorboard and wish you never did.
-97 TJ, 35's, Currie 4" lift, Dana 30 w/ ARB, 8.8, Trail Gear Front Bumper With w/ XRC8, LOD Tire Carrier, UCF Tummy Tuck, Smittybuilt Corners, Poison Spider Sliders

Day215

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2012, 04:00:33 PM »

Do I think I need it, absolutely not, but it may happen down the road. When it's no longer my DD, who knows what will happen to her :biggrin:!

I just wanted to toss the idea out there, to see what others thought. I've seen the camera idea, but that also involves a monitor of some sort, I'm thinking simplicity.....although chopping up my floor pan doesn't exactly follow that motto does it!

Agent620

• Rescue Red
  • Red 5 Standing By
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2012, 04:34:44 PM »

You can always weld in new floor plans.
I wish I was more responsible.
Spite is a wonderful thing!
Friends don't let friends get anally raped in the woods.

Agent620

• Rescue Red
  • Red 5 Standing By
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2012, 04:35:27 PM »

Or put a back up camera down there, all around etc. 360 degree view, just dont hit the cams on rocks.

pdangerp

Flame suit on! Plexiglass footwells?
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2012, 06:01:03 PM »

I've thought of the camera idea myself but it would be hard to keep the lens clean.

Agent620

• Rescue Red
  • Red 5 Standing By
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2012, 06:17:02 PM »

I've thought of the camera idea myself but it would be hard to keep the lens clean.

Put something over it while not in use and a clear cover when in use.

Anticanman

• Sprung Under for Her Pleasure
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2012, 07:40:48 PM »

I had a couple conversations on the realistic use of back up cameras as spotting devices in a thread on JF in the past. I think it all came about when we were talking about different rear view mirrors and I suggested the type with the integrated LCD screen for back up cameras. There are tons of ways to get more visibility using this method especially on the highway if you have your jeep packed to the gills and your mirrors are essentially useless. I used a setup on my 02 Alfa before I sold it and for a larger vehicle you can't live without it, so why not adapt it for a daily driver jeep?
Asian in stock JKU initiated wave... be jealous fool
I said screw it. I'm going for the tranny tonight.

connor0770

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2012, 07:59:13 PM »

..... and for a larger vehicle you can't live without it....

Correct me if im wrong, but people have been fine without one for years... if you cant live without it, you shouldnt be driving.  :flipoff:

I personally feel as though a backup camera on a wheeling rig is a complete waste of money, time, and effort.
-97 TJ, 35's, Currie 4" lift, Dana 30 w/ ARB, 8.8, Trail Gear Front Bumper With w/ XRC8, LOD Tire Carrier, UCF Tummy Tuck, Smittybuilt Corners, Poison Spider Sliders

Jam86

Re: Re: Flame suit on! Plexiglass footwells?
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2012, 09:39:32 PM »

Correct me if im wrong, but people have been fine without one for years... if you cant live without it, you shouldnt be driving.  :flipoff:

I personally feel as though a backup camera on a wheeling rig is a complete waste of money, time, and effort.
Ummn Connor?????  There is a lot of things we do to our rigs, that could be considered a complete waste of time, money, and effort. In fact wheeling itself could be considered a waste of money. But it sure is fun lol. Using the back up camera has a guide to judge your clearances on the front of your vehicle seems like a safer way to wheel. I mean i dont always have a spotter do you? This could take the place of a spotter. Before you try it, no i dont wheel alone, but there are times wheeling that i havent had a spotter, perhaps im in the lead or whatever the case may be. If doing something to our rigs make them safer, then it should have support.

The Bear Whisperer

• Supporting Member
  • aka - Screaming "Bear"
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2012, 09:47:36 PM »

Here's what you need... http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHROME-CURB-FEELERS-CAT-WHISKERS-SIDE-WALK-SCRAPERS-SET-2-NEW-GREAT-PRICE-/360410422023  ;D
51 CJ3-A, 4.3 TBI Chevy, SM420, Dana 18TC, 30/44 Full Floaters, Yukon Front Axle and Hubs, rear drive flanges, Detroit Fr / E-Locker Rr, 4.27:1 Gears, 74:1, HD steering / 4 wheel disk brakes, Viair 550C, 100% LED - VisionX headlights, Rigid Light-bar, DOT Fogs, Grote tail, Soft Top and Heater, 35"KM-2's, 3" up, no articulation - it works

Mr.B

• "But officer, it was a Subaru!"
  • Administrator
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

You're a super genius....
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein
Pages: [1] 2