Norcal Jeepers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Tapatalk is still having problems starting new threads, but you can still reply to old threads

Welcome to Norcal Jeepers!
Welcome to Norcal Jeepers! It looks like you're not registered yet. As a guest you are missing out on a bunch of great content that is only viewable once you register. To register, simply follow the link below and fill out some information about yourself. It only takes a few minutes!

Click here to register now!

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11

Author Topic: Jake's XJunk  (Read 24998 times)

Day215

Re: Jake's XJunk
« Reply #180 on: August 07, 2013, 08:56:41 PM »

Watch out for roadside smog checks!
92 Toyota minitruck Front Dana 60 4.88s, Lincoln locked, drive slugs blah blah blah. Rear Dana 70 4.88s, Lincoln locked, 63 chevys. W56 5speed, 2.28 duals, 22re. 39.5s and other stuff. Bobbed, exod, cut up etc. I used to wheel a YJ, then I defected. Now no one talks to me anymore.....cant completly blame that on the switch though.

I'm out of the club. Stay away from my wiener.

sneakyjap96

• BIG JOHNSON
  • JOHNSON
« Reply #181 on: August 07, 2013, 09:09:38 PM »

Let em pull me over I'm not there avg idiot haha I've got schooling in that garbage lol smog techs hate me
1989 xj d30 spartan d44  lsd 4.88 gr johnson built long/mid arms johnson built stiffeners, Trans mount n sliders hd shackle relocation boxes beefy shackles 7 in front coils re adjustable track bar oba dirt bound front bumper home made rear bumper

1995 xj np231 w jb sye 6 in lift  re uca/lca johnson built  winch bumper an sliders xrc8 winch hl 60 s 33s km2/km hp30 sparten btf hd diff cover/8.25 3.55 gr cb re brake lines jks discos hid lights in cab winch control Johnson bilt motor mounts dual e fan conversion

norcal_chris

• always down to wheel
« Reply #182 on: August 07, 2013, 09:22:23 PM »

Let em pull me over I'm not there avg idiot haha I've got schooling in that garbage lol smog techs hate me

They wont argue. They will jist send you to the ref and what he says goes.

Just like how I got a ref ticket in a 72 datsun 510
Ruined a perfectly good jeep.

sneakyjap96

• BIG JOHNSON
  • JOHNSON
« Reply #183 on: August 07, 2013, 09:27:34 PM »

Plus they have to have a reason to pull you over so hey don't give em one....o wait pretty much everyone here fails that haha

Just keep the stock air box make the hose come out of it blam no problem... if someone's that worried about it just spend the high dollar for a carb legal one I guess sorry Jake for us taking over for this little bit caused by jam.. lol
1989 xj d30 spartan d44  lsd 4.88 gr johnson built long/mid arms johnson built stiffeners, Trans mount n sliders hd shackle relocation boxes beefy shackles 7 in front coils re adjustable track bar oba dirt bound front bumper home made rear bumper

1995 xj np231 w jb sye 6 in lift  re uca/lca johnson built  winch bumper an sliders xrc8 winch hl 60 s 33s km2/km hp30 sparten btf hd diff cover/8.25 3.55 gr cb re brake lines jks discos hid lights in cab winch control Johnson bilt motor mounts dual e fan conversion

Jam86

« Reply #184 on: August 07, 2013, 09:39:59 PM »

sorry Jake for us taking over for this little bit caused by jam.. lol
I get this feeling you think im always trying to play devils advocate or something. Generally I just like to have a good time but every now and then "tech wise" I ask a serious question not because I dont know the answer but more to get the person to think. Could it have been sent via PM, technically yes but I think discussing Snorkels and CARB (for those that dont know California Air Resource Board) approved is great knowledge to know. Should I have started another thread to prevent Jakes from going off topic, again technically yes, but I didnt feel the need to contribute more than that one "question" at the time. So Jake, I will apologize for derailing your thread. If it wasnt for Sneaky saying he was gunna buy a China POS snorkel it never would have happened...psst Sneaky, now im playing devils advocate

I got a 6 foot bed that never has to be made!

sneakyjap96

• BIG JOHNSON
  • JOHNSON
« Reply #185 on: August 07, 2013, 09:43:53 PM »

Holy hell I was just joking around. Didn't know you were going to get bent over it. China crap or not it works just fine cause technically we were still on topic. It had to do with snorkels

Jam86

« Reply #186 on: August 07, 2013, 11:23:19 PM »

Holy hell I was just joking around. Didn't know you were going to get bent over it. China crap or not it works just fine cause technically we were still on topic. It had to do with snorkels

Hahaha I think youre the one getting bent outta shape. Im good.

I got a 6 foot bed that never has to be made!

SacXJguy

• "Flyin' XJ"
« Reply #187 on: August 07, 2013, 11:46:34 PM »

Won't you two just shut up and kiss already? >_>

On topic: nothing wrong with the china snorkels, all snorkels are is a piece of plastic bolted up to direct air flow to a filter, don't see how it's a smog issue. It's the Renix era XJ's that have some sort of smog crap in the airbox
4x4 conversion:
Front Axle
Tranny
T-case
Drive shafts
shift linkage
COMPLETE!

Day215

« Reply #188 on: August 08, 2013, 05:53:04 AM »

Won't you two just shut up and kiss already? >_>

On topic: nothing wrong with the china snorkels, all snorkels are is a piece of plastic bolted up to direct air flow to a filter, don't see how it's a smog issue. It's the Renix era XJ's that have some sort of smog crap in the airbox

Sorry for the hijack!

China or not, if the intake doesn't have a CARB EO #, then it's a violation. This would mean shit to anyone on a daily basis, and a CHP or PD officer isn't going to waste his time trying to hassle you over it, unless you pissed him off real good. Swap back to the stock stuff when you go to smog it, but roadside smog ambushes are a real problem, get caught with the intake on and your in trouble. I ran into the roadside smog traps 3 times last year, they pull you out of the line at "random", I stopped running my homebrew intake just for this reason. So it's not necessarily the intake that will fail you, it's the lack of the EO #. WELCOME TO CALIFORNIA!
92 Toyota minitruck Front Dana 60 4.88s, Lincoln locked, drive slugs blah blah blah. Rear Dana 70 4.88s, Lincoln locked, 63 chevys. W56 5speed, 2.28 duals, 22re. 39.5s and other stuff. Bobbed, exod, cut up etc. I used to wheel a YJ, then I defected. Now no one talks to me anymore.....cant completly blame that on the switch though.

I'm out of the club. Stay away from my wiener.

sneakyjap96

• BIG JOHNSON
  • JOHNSON
« Reply #189 on: August 08, 2013, 06:45:23 AM »

I'm going back to its just like an exhaust system its only illegal of you remove or tamper anything that has to do with smog aka mass air flow kinda stuff... its that grey area like I stated and Dan just stated a cop can find anything he wants to ticket you for if he wanted.. IMA throw one of these snorkels on an just smog my jeep for shits and giggles

SquareLite

« Reply #190 on: August 08, 2013, 07:48:45 AM »

CHP is the one and only agency that will really care about the VC violation. You might get the occasional motor officer that may, but I doubt it. CHP has been stopping and citing for only mechanical violations now (ex: no front plate). Mechanical citations generally used to be secondary to a moving violation. In the city we used mechanical violations all the time as probable cause to stop and talk to someone, but rarely stop just because of the violation.

Sent from my broke ass iPhone using Tapatalk

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #191 on: August 08, 2013, 09:03:20 AM »

There's over 48K vehicle codes.  Can someone find me the one that says a snorkel or intake in general is a smog device?  Here's a link.... http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes.xhtml

There might be one, but I don't know what it is.

Also here is a picture of my "intake" that I put on mine when I did the fuel injection (it's the same one a vast number of guys doing the swap use).

It's the best picture I had off hand.....

It's not CARB approved, there's no EO sticker on it, passes smog every time.  I actually went to three different smog places and called BAR when I did the conversion and asked about that specifically.  I was told by all of them that as long as my FI kit had a EO# they didn't care how the air got to it.  That being said, when I first moved to CA in 1996, they wouldn't pass my '70 Duster cause it had an open face breather.

Carry on......

sneakyjap96

• BIG JOHNSON
  • JOHNSON
« Reply #192 on: August 08, 2013, 10:37:59 AM »

There's over 48K vehicle codes.  Can someone find me the one that says a snorkel or intake in general is a smog device?  Here's a link.... http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes.xhtml

There might be one, but I don't know what it is.

Thank you haha now as Alex stated if you have the renix junk you'll have to have a carb sticker unless you ran the snorkel off the front hole in the box and left the box there. Cause they have vacumm lines that attach to the air box. dumb but glad I have the ho now

Atmos

• It'll buff out
« Reply #193 on: August 08, 2013, 03:42:32 PM »

happy birthday to me I am 21 today :cheers2:
-1993xj geared locked swapped and flopped
build thread http://www.norcaljeepers.co/index.php?topic=733.0

sneakyjap96

• BIG JOHNSON
  • JOHNSON
« Reply #194 on: August 08, 2013, 04:12:22 PM »

Bout time happy bday

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #195 on: August 08, 2013, 08:45:51 PM »

happy birthday to me I am 21 today :cheers2:

Hey, go muddy up someone else's thread.....

Oh, nevermind.

Atmos

• It'll buff out
« Reply #196 on: September 01, 2013, 09:59:17 PM »

Finally a successful Fordyce trip. lots of people out for the 3 day weekend. and the water was really low

fun at winch hill 1

wagon wheel at committee crossing

and then finally got to the main attraction at night, winch hill 3. too bad it was too dark for good pics

no cool pics of my jeep unfortunately

Atmos

• It'll buff out
« Reply #197 on: September 15, 2013, 09:41:49 AM »

well. I ran the rubicon trail! it was really nice and scenic and relaxing. no breakage or trouble

I was really sad to see where fun obstacles were clearly blown up or filled in. $1000 hill was blocked off. little sluice was a joke. the only challenging obstacles were the soup bowl and a couple spots near buck island

and my phone was dead the whole time. this is soup bowl. I made it up the easy line and no pictures of me because it was dark

and here's the only shot of my jeep

sneakyjap96

• BIG JOHNSON
  • JOHNSON
« Reply #198 on: September 15, 2013, 10:30:14 AM »

You didn't see old sluice then lol

Atmos

• It'll buff out
« Reply #199 on: September 15, 2013, 10:33:07 AM »

old sluice as in the obstacle? or the old little sluice? I've seen videos of the little sluice before it was destroyed. very sad I'll never get to run it :thumbsdown:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11