Norcal Jeepers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Well that was a fun 40 hours. Thank you Godaddy. We're back up and running, but in the next 30 days there will some scheduled down time.

Welcome to Norcal Jeepers!
Welcome to Norcal Jeepers! It looks like you're not registered yet. As a guest you are missing out on a bunch of great content that is only viewable once you register. To register, simply follow the link below and fill out some information about yourself. It only takes a few minutes!

Click here to register now!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Welding  (Read 3461 times)

autumnxtoxsehsa

• Supporting Member
Welding
« on: July 14, 2012, 07:25:26 PM »

I've always wanted to learn to weld. Want to get a a decently priced starter welder that I can learn on and still do some work with. Any suggestions on what some good starter/used welders are? I was thinking maybe a lincoln 225 ac stick welder, see them all the time on craigslist, low price and seems like a solid machine. Or save up and get some sort of mig/flux core welder? My budget is like $200. I'd like to practice on scrap metal and learn the basics on it and maybe be able to fab stuff up on the jeep if need be. Probably won't be able to take any classes at the local cc as I am already a full time student and work part time and don't have much time to go to another class so I will most likely be going off of google and youtube lol so if anyones got some tips for starting out or some good links that'd be much appreciated. Thanks guys and gals :cheers:

timatoe

• Administrator
Re: Welding
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 05:45:23 PM »

I'd suggest you keep saving and get a Lincoln, Miller, or Hobart MIG machine.  You can get the 140 amp machine for about $400 or so new or near to it.

autumnxtoxsehsa

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 01:26:48 AM »

So I'm thinking about just picking up a simple Lincoln 225 ac buzz box since they seem to be very popular on Craigslist. I think for the time being it will be a good machine to learn on and I will probably use it to tack weld things into place and take it elsewhere to get it welded up. I like that the 6011/6010 rods will make a deeper tack weld that would be much easier to fill in by a pro not to mention the cleaner look. Any reasons why this would be a bad move? I've been doing a bunch of reading online as I'm not to familiar with welding, I will definitely buy a solid mig machine later on but right now it doesn't fit my budget.

Mr.B

• "But officer, it was a Subaru!"
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 05:47:40 AM »

I have one. I'll sell it to you for $100. It comes with a welding helmet, some 6011 rods, and 50 Lbs of 7012 rods.

White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

You're a super genius....
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 03:05:20 PM »

That's a good deal right there.  Plus it puts Ben $100 closer to getting a MIG machine.

norcal_chris

• always down to wheel
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 03:36:04 PM »

I built my first cage with a stick welder.  Was a good experience. 

Will never do it agian.   

I would jump on that.  Stick welding gives you a good idea of puddle control and technique that carry over very well to mig welding.  Plus you can weld some thick shiz with a stick machine that would cost a ton for an equivelent mig machine. 
Ruined a perfectly good jeep.

autumnxtoxsehsa

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 08:27:49 PM »

Definitely a great deal! Thanks again Ben!

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 08:45:02 AM »

Take a look over at Sierra College and see about taking a semester of welding, it's cheap and way better than learning by trial and error.

Screaming Bear

• Supporting Member
  • "the Bear Whisperer"
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2015, 08:46:42 AM »

Well, since my lifetime welding credits expired I need to just get on this and buy one.
Is a 120V MIG going to have enough power or should I go with 220V? I doubt I will be welding anything thicker than 3/16th's.
What do you guys use?
51 CJ3-A, 4.3 TBI Chevy, SM420, Dana 18TC, 30/44 Full Floaters, Yukon Front Axle and Hubs, rear drive flanges, Detroit Fr / E-Locker Rr, 4.27:1 Gears, 74:1, HD steering / 4 wheel disk brakes, Viair 550C, 100% LED - VisionX headlights, Rigid Light-bar, DOT Fogs, Grote tail, Soft Top and Heater, 35"KM-2's, 3" up, no articulation - it works

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2015, 03:23:03 PM »

I have a 120 (Hobart) and a 220 (Lincoln), rarely do I use the 120 machine.  If you're going to get something just get the 220 and the best one you can afford.  I like my Lincoln, but if I were going to buy another I may save a few more pennies and get the Miller.

I'll repeat what I said before too, look into a community college and see if they have a weld tech program.  A semester of MIG isn't gonna make you an expert, but you will be able to stick metal together pretty well.

Screaming Bear

• Supporting Member
  • "the Bear Whisperer"
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2015, 04:17:03 PM »

I'm sure 220 is better but is 110 good enough for my needs. I would have the extra expense of wiring a 220 outlet. I don't know if I can do that myself without voiding my fire insurance.
Millermatic 141 around $700, Lincoln and Hobart 140's cost $525 or so. Miller 190 uses 220V. Anybody happy with 110V?
51 CJ3-A, 4.3 TBI Chevy, SM420, Dana 18TC, 30/44 Full Floaters, Yukon Front Axle and Hubs, rear drive flanges, Detroit Fr / E-Locker Rr, 4.27:1 Gears, 74:1, HD steering / 4 wheel disk brakes, Viair 550C, 100% LED - VisionX headlights, Rigid Light-bar, DOT Fogs, Grote tail, Soft Top and Heater, 35"KM-2's, 3" up, no articulation - it works

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2015, 05:14:46 PM »

110 Machine will do anything you'll be doing, you may have to make multiple passes but it'll do it.

Also I think you get better welds when using an auto darkening helmet since you can actually see what you're doing before you pull the trigger.  I'd love to get a "good" helmet, but I've been using the $50 auto-darkening one from Harbor Freight for 6-7 years now with now issue.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 05:21:47 PM by timatoe »

sneakyjap96

• BIG JOHNSON
  • JOHNSON
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2015, 09:35:44 PM »

I highly recommend the 220 machine. my 110 machine gun gets hott fast. I'm buying a Lincoln 180 withing the next month or two! You can find deals on cl for around 5 600 with tank or buy it new for 7
1989 xj d30 spartan d44  lsd 4.88 gr johnson built long/mid arms johnson built stiffeners, Trans mount n sliders hd shackle relocation boxes beefy shackles 7 in front coils re adjustable track bar oba dirt bound front bumper home made rear bumper

1995 xj np231 w jb sye 6 in lift  re uca/lca johnson built  winch bumper an sliders xrc8 winch hl 60 s 33s km2/km hp30 sparten btf hd diff cover/8.25 3.55 gr cb re brake lines jks discos hid lights in cab winch control Johnson bilt motor mounts dual e fan conversion

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2015, 09:47:51 PM »

That's another thing to consider.  You want to be using shielding gas, so there's some additional expense.  You can use flux core, but do you really wanna be chipping slag off all your welds?  Nope, didn't think so.

Screaming Bear

• Supporting Member
  • "the Bear Whisperer"
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2015, 11:01:45 PM »

The Millermatic 190 or a 211 dual voltage would be nice but twice what I would like to spend.
I do have an un-used dryer outlet - not easy to get at but close to the garage. I could hang the extension cord there for now.
Considering the total cost of everything I need, a good 140 might be my limit.

Mr.B

• "But officer, it was a Subaru!"
  • Administrator
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2015, 07:14:54 AM »

I used a discarded, modified DP180, 50 AMP power cord. It was about 20" long, and reached from the laundry room to the middle of the garage. Do you still know anyone at Mother X? If not, you can just run 30 AMP cable with the 140.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

You're a super genius....
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

Screaming Bear

• Supporting Member
  • "the Bear Whisperer"
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2015, 01:48:46 PM »

Bought the Millermatic 190 and enough accessories to get the $200 rebate. Free tank! Making a conversion extension from a dryer cord and a F/M receptical for now. Also ordered a bunch of stuff from Amazon. I just need a broken Jeep. Got that too.

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2015, 02:29:01 PM »

Good info here.... http://www.millerwelds.com/resources/improving-your-skills/mig/

Some good basic starter info too.....

https://youtu.be/YU8WdV6k3rA

I think we watched this video on one of the first days of class.....

https://youtu.be/5mcTl0VrvWQ
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 02:38:25 PM by timatoe »

Screaming Bear

• Supporting Member
  • "the Bear Whisperer"
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2015, 06:15:50 PM »

Thanks Tim, I created a Welding Info folder in my favorites and saved your links.

Two Beers

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2015, 06:26:46 PM »

Bought the Millermatic 190 and enough accessories to get the $200 rebate. Free tank! Making a conversion extension from a dryer cord and a F/M receptical for now. Also ordered a bunch of stuff from Amazon. I just need a broken Jeep. Got that too.

So glad you opted not to get the 110 setup.  I don't think you'd have been happy with it. 

Why do I have the feeling that my rigs will also benefit??
Pages: [1] 2